Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 jku Sahara . The dealership just called me to schedule the first oil change .... Jeep suggests 8,000 mikes but my husband wants to do it at 3000 miles and put in Mobile 1 ?

Would that best choice ????

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Titaness said:
I have a 2013 jku Sahara . The dealership just called me to schedule the first oil change .... Jeep suggests 8,000 mikes but my husband wants to do it at 3000 miles and put in Mobile 1 ?

Jeep suggests 8k intervals as an absolute MAX. I think that's too long personally. I did mine several times before 5k but many have a differing opinion. Also a million opinions on what oil is best. The bottom line is use what you want as long as it meets the specs in the owners manual. Personally I will switch to Amsoil synthetic around 8k when it will be getting a change again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't really know what to think about folks stating to change before 1,000 miles, and I had my first oil change about 1 month ago just shy of 3,000.

It was done at the dealership, as they gave me a "first one free," so I didn't see the oil myself. I did note a bump up in my MPG, though, leading me to believe that maybe that oil did need to be changed. Based on the service receipt, it was the same 5W-30 oil that it was filled with for the first time as well. I'll personally be changing to synthetic after about 3,000 miles of this oil, and changing at 5-8,000 mile intervals down the road.

Short answer -- go ahead and change it IMHO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Just making sure i do the right thing. My husband is a pilot and bmw snob who thinks he needs to "tool time" any earth bound vehicle because he doesn't understand earth travel hee hee. And me... Well I'm new to caring about any vehicle!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I changed mine at 500 ml. Replaced it with cheap conventional oil.
Changed again at 2,000 ml. This time went with Mobil 1.
Now I will change it at 5,000 ml (again synthetic Mobil 1), and from this point changing it every 5,000 ml (with Mobil 1).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Unless the manual says otherwise, I'd change it. Why Mobil 1? Because it's cheap at Walmart? I'd stick to conventional or a synthetic with a better reputation, in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts

Allow me to welcome you to the forum. :D

Some people will tell you to change the oil at around 500-1,000 miles for your first oil change, but according to the Jeep Owner Manual, it says the break-in oil has special properties and hints that you shouldn't do this. That being said, I had my first oil change done at 3,500-4,000 miles and again at 8,000 miles. Apparently there is an "indicator" that lights up to let you know when it's time to change your oil, but I don't follow that at all.

Some people run synthetics as it brings peace of mind, and is apparently "better" than conventional oil, and that may be the case, but I'd stick with what is recommended by Jeep. In the long run, this is going to help you, especially if you were to have issues with your engine. If your engine calls for one particular type of oil and you use another, it can later be used as an excuse NOT to replace something in the event you have an issue.

I'm all for changing my own oil, but in the case of a vehicle under warranty, I let the dealer handle it. That way, I have actual documentation the oil WAS changed and what it was changed with instead of just having a receipt that I'd purchased oil and a filter from the local auto parts store.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but I'd recommend changing the oil at 3,000-4,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Unless the manual says otherwise, I'd change it. Why Mobil 1? Because it's cheap at Walmart? I'd stick to conventional or a synthetic with a better reputation, in my opinion.
Why Mobil 1 ?
Because there is only one better. Amsoil.
I was with Amsoil for many years but got tired of their weird sales/distribution methods.
You can easily do your research on Internet, and will understand why Mobil 1.
You show me one brand with better characteristics then Mobil 1 (including the "purple" one) and I'll switch to that brand in the heart beat.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Why Mobil 1 ?
Because there is only one better. Amsoil.
I was with Amsoil for many years but got tired of their weird sales/distribution methods.
You can easily do your research on Internet, and will understand why Mobil 1.
You show me one brand with better characteristics then Mobil 1 (including the "purple" one) and I'll switch to that brand in the heart beat.
Ah, yes, the infamous SCAMsoil. I'm still yet to see how this is any better than any other synthetic on the market.

That being said, I run Mobil 1 in my Camaro. I've tried running the others (including the "purple" one) and Mobil 1 is the only one the Camaro will run on without any oil consumption.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Allow me to welcome you to the forum. :D

Some people will tell you to change the oil at around 500-1,000 miles for your first oil change, but according to the Jeep Owner Manual, it says the break-in oil has special properties and hints that you shouldn't do this. That being said, I had my first oil change done at 3,500-4,000 miles and again at 8,000 miles. Apparently there is an "indicator" that lights up to let you know when it's time to change your oil, but I don't follow that at all.

Some people run synthetics as it brings peace of mind, and is apparently "better" than conventional oil, and that may be the case, but I'd stick with what is recommended by Jeep. In the long run, this is going to help you, especially if you were to have issues with your engine. If your engine calls for one particular type of oil and you use another, it can later be used as an excuse NOT to replace something in the event you have an issue.

I'm all for changing my own oil, but in the case of a vehicle under warranty, I let the dealer handle it. That way, I have actual documentation the oil WAS changed and what it was changed with instead of just having a receipt that I'd purchased oil and a filter from the local auto parts store.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but I'd recommend changing the oil at 3,000-4,000 miles. :)
If not broken, why fixed ?
I understand your point with conventional oils.
Here is why (many years ago, when Amsoil invented synthetic) I switched.
Do you remember how your truck sound when you are starting it up in the winter on the very cold morning ? I am not referring to weak battery sound, when battery has problem turning your engine. I am referring to that initial weird sound. Do you know what that is ? That is your conventional oil (which changed viscosity during the long cold night, and now is like a very thick honey) getting "broken" by the engine.
Synthetic oil doesn't do that. For synthetic oil to that it has to be some unbelievable temperature (low or high) so it changes the viscosity characteristics.
Beside that, it is proven that synthetic oil gives you better (much better) protection. One doesn't have to be scientist to understand that chances are, something made in laboratory got to be better (and cleaner) than something drilled from the earth.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mobil 1 is a good suggestion by your husband. I would get it changed around 4k even though it says 8k... Just my .02

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
If not broken, why fixed ?
I understand your point with conventional oils.
Here is why (many years ago, when Amsoil invented synthetic) I switched.
Do you remember how your truck sound when you are starting it up in the winter on the very cold morning ? I am not referring to weak battery sound, when battery has problem turning your engine. I am referring to that initial weird sound. Do you know what that is ? That is your conventional oil (which changed viscosity during the long cold night, and now is like a very thick honey) getting "broken" by the engine.
Synthetic oil doesn't do that. For synthetic oil to that it has to be some unbelievable temperature (low or high) so it changes the viscosity characteristics.
Beside that, it is proven that synthetic oil gives you better (much better) protection. One doesn't have to be scientist to understand that chances are, something made in laboratory got to be better (and cleaner) than something drilled from the earth.
Just my 2 cents.
While that's all well and good, if conventional oil was so poor, manufacturers wouldn't be using it. I've never had any of my engines make that "weird sound," so I have no clue what you're talking about. FWIW, I lived in Milwaukee, WI for two years and ran convo oil with no issues. Those days where we windchills of -30 below (I'm not exaggerating...), my vehicles started and there was no "weird sound" to be heard.

I've gotten many miles out of vehicles that hadn't ever seen a drop of synthetic oil. I had 171,000 miles on my Camaro when the engine was rebuilt, and that was due to a blown head gasket, not an oil consumption issue or an issue with burning oil. Regardless of what type of oil I was running, the head gasket would've blown. I religiously changed the oil every 3,000-3,500 miles in that car. Even with such high mileage, prior to the rebuild, the engine ran strong, did not consume a drop of oil, and did not smoke.

The only vehicle I've run synthetics in is the Camaro, and that's only because the shop who rebuilt the engine (modified, of course...) advised me to use synthetics. I've stuck with his advice but I've seen no proof that using synthetics has offered any benefits over a conventional oil.

I had a lot of people tell me to run synthetics in my STi because of the turbo and that conventional oil would gunk up the turbo and leave burned deposits, resulting in turbo failure. I had 117,000 miles on my STi when it was destroyed in a collision. I'd never replaced a turbo or any of its components. The engine was still just as strong as the day I drove the car off the lot.

I've seen the "scientific results," and for every one of those "proven results," there will be someone else who comes up with a theory as to why a conventional oil is better, and so forth and so on. In theory, synthetics certainly sound like the winner, but for me PERSONALLY, I haven't seen any solid proof of where one fails and one doesn't. As I said, I have vehicles that run on both, so that's what I have to go on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Con Artist :
If you want to see the difference between your conventional and synthetic, take a sample from both (used) and send it for analysis.
You may be up for surprise.
It is very interesting to me that while in Milwaukee, when starting your engine in the morning, you never noticed how hard that engine is turning and weird sound it is making in the winter mornings.
You sound system all the way up ?

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Con Artist :
If you want to see the difference between your conventional and synthetic, take a sample from both (used) and send it for analysis.
You may be up for surprise.
It is very interesting to me that while in Milwaukee, when starting your engine in the morning, you never noticed how hard that engine is turning and weird sound it is making in the winter mornings.
You sound system all the way up ?
Nope, there were days when the car wouldn't start because of the battery (lights would go dim and what-not) and a few days where it'd idle high for a few minutes but no knocking or banging around, etc. I think the viscosity of the oil has a lot to do with performance. I'd always run a 5w30 and never had an issue, regardless of the weather. I didn't park in a garage, either, so if it was -30 outside, that's what it started in...

·
Registered
243 Posts
As I've stated in other places in this forum this is the same discussion as on the Miata's forums. Now let me tell you those guys take their oil and filters seriously. I read them all and also read the links to the numerous published studies. It goes without saying that it is your choice and only you will decide,nevertheless if one is objective you will conclude that full synthetic is the obvious choice. You will be fine with the recommended DINO oil changed on the manufactures guidance. Of the " full" syns I would recommend Mobil 1 Extended performance, 5W-20, or 0W-40. The German made Castrol full syn is also fine as is the top of the line Shell oils. I have used Amsoil but got tired of ordering it and paying higher prices. You usually can not find any of the Mobil 1 oils I mentioned at Walmart. The Mobil 1 oil at Walmart will be a different number or not full syn. Try Auto Zone or similar and wait for a sale. You can usually get a Mobil 1 filter free then.
One I put Mobil 1 in I' ll run 10,000 miles between changes. You can run longer-as much as 15,000 miles but there are some chemical changes(minor) at 10 to 11 according to the analysis I have seen.
Most stress to an engine is on cold start because the oil has drained down to the bottom. So oil flow is the most critical component of all of these discussions. The 0W and 5W numbers are therefore most important. Once the oil is warm or hot the high numbers at the other end of the chain like 50 wt etc cause more fuel to be consumed just by having to push the oil through the engine. The unique thing about syn is it's ability to end up about the same viscosity once the engine is warm.

Note: I am not an engineer and I am writing this from memory so don' t hammer me if I was not quite correct in my description. Let us reason together and remember what I said at the beginning. I said to each his own. There is a lot of misconceptions about oil and how often to change. Most is antecedole support- my grandfather ,my father, my mechanic buddy always told me stuff. There is hardly ever any scientific evidence cited in these discussions. Bottom line there is no good reason to change oil as frequently as many people do. It won't hurt anything except
the environment and your wallet. If you want maximum protection and fewer oil changes use " full" syn like Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
As I've stated in other places in this forum this is the same discussion as on the Miata's forums. Now let me tell you those guys take their oil and filters seriously. I read them all and also read the links to the numerous published studies. It goes without saying that it is your choice and only you will decide,nevertheless if one is objective you will conclude that full synthetic is the obvious choice. You will be fine with the recommended DINO oil changed on the manufactures guidance. Of the " full" syns I would recommend Mobil 1 Extended performance, 5W-20, or 0W-40. The German made Castrol full syn is also fine as is the top of the line Shell oils. I have used Amsoil but got tired of ordering it and paying higher prices. You usually can not find any of the Mobil 1 oils I mentioned at Walmart. The Mobil 1 oil at Walmart will be a different number or not full syn. Try Auto Zone or similar and wait for a sale. You can usually get a Mobil 1 filter free then.
One I put Mobil 1 in I' ll run 10,000 miles between changes. You can run longer-as much as 15,000 miles but there are some chemical changes(minor) at 10 to 11 according to the analysis I have seen.
Most stress to an engine is on cold start because the oil has drained down to the bottom. So oil flow is the most critical component of all of these discussions. The 0W and 5W numbers are therefore most important. Once the oil is warm or hot the high numbers at the other end of the chain like 50 wt etc cause more fuel to be consumed just by having to push the oil through the engine. The unique thing about syn is it's ability to end up about the same viscosity once the engine is warm.

Note: I am not an engineer and I am writing this from memory so don' t hammer me if I was not quite correct in my description. Let us reason together and remember what I said at the beginning. I said to each his own. There is a lot of misconceptions about oil and how often to change. Most is antecedole support- my grandfather ,my father, my mechanic buddy always told me stuff. There is hardly ever any scientific evidence cited in these discussions. Bottom line there is no good reason to change oil as frequently as many people do. It won't hurt anything except
the environment and your wallet. If you want maximum protection and fewer oil changes use " full" syn like Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter.
I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my Camaro. I change that every 6,000-7,500 miles or so. I also use a K&N or Mobil 1 filter. No FRAM for me!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just changed my oil last night. Had 800 miles on it. It was B-L-A-C-K. I don't believe in any magic oil, but I do believe in clean oil. I filled it with what ever conventional oil was on sale at Walmart. I plan on dumping again at 3k. I have one free oil change so I'll let the dealer do that one. All new motors go through a break in. I don't know if they do anything at the factory. The first 20 minutes of run time is critical as is the first 200 miles. You want to get that first batch of oil out pretty quick (500-1000 miles) as it's filled with metal particles from the new engine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've seen the "scientific results," and for every one of those "proven results," there will be someone else who comes up with a theory as to why a conventional oil is better, and so forth and so on. In theory, synthetics certainly sound like the winner, but for me PERSONALLY, I haven't seen any solid proof of where one fails and one doesn't. As I said, I have vehicles that run on both, so that's what I have to go on.
Ok Dan, here is some more for you :
You show me ONE advantage (beside the cheap price, but by the same talkin' price of Yugo is different then price of Ferari) of conventional oil compared to synthetic, and I'll switch back to conventional.
How about that ? Just ONE !!
Now, you stated you had 117,000 miles on conventional. So what ?
Many people had that number of miles on conventional. Even more. As long you dump that junk out of engine on 3,000 ml you should be fine.
Here is another number for you :
I think the registered record with the Amsoil (synthetic oil) between the oil changes is close to half million miles. 500,000 ml. Granted with dual filtration system. Now, you tell me how many cars you heard of running 500,000 ml between the oil changes with conventional oil ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Define "synthetic". Synthetic is now a snake oil term. Sure there are a few good brands, but if I don't need a synthetic oil for my application then why should I spend more money to use it? I keep my vehicles for 100-150k miles, so 500k results don't mean anything to me. I live in Carlsbad (San Diego) so I don't have heat or cold to worry about. I'm not towing and use a 5k OCI. No real reason to use synthetic. I also don't fill my tank with premium gas. I don't need it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
1) Synthetic has benefits compared to conventional. Don't have to agree or don't have to like it but the facts are there. Conventional oil is still readily available for many reasons, two are that it is cheap to manufacture and there are folks who always look for the cheapest price.

2) 3K mile oil changes are obsolete.

3) There is nothing in the owners manual about the engine having a special break in oil.
It does say the factory fill is a high quality oil.

4) The OM also states synthetic oil is ok to use.

5) OP - I always do the first oil change early. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts