Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states I did my first oil change on my 3.6 Pentastar engine. Now let me note that this is on the 2013 Dodge Caravan engine but shares the exact same engine with the 2014 Wrangler that I have order and waiting to arrive! Using my van as a guinea pig for oil/filter options! Haha

I have done my own oil changes since I have owned cars. I really like to know what has been done and if I do it myself I can take my time and do it right.

First impressions:
Not sure with the Wrangler yet but on the GC the oil filter is on the left rear of the engine and the air filter hose needs to be disassembled before you can unscrew the canister. I found this to be a real disadvantage but at the same time convenient that its on the top and creates far less mess! On the topic of the filter I really don't like that the canister is made from plastic and upset that the "bolt" of the canister is plastic. I used a socket for a nice fit instead of using the wrench to avoid any stripping.

Put in my 6 quarts and after all was said and done I saw an idle speed of about 750 (was at 600 before oil change). Was baffled and then did some research. I have decided to use Pennzoil Platinum with a Purolator Classic filter. After researching I noticed that using a Full Synthetic will increase your RPM at idle due to the fact that there is less friction as the molecules are more uniform. So all good there! At first I thought I did something wrong!

I hope this doesn't start another Conventional vs Synthetic war as I have seen in prior threads! I just went the Synthetic route as in Canada we see some crazy fluctuations in temp (today it is 111f and in the winter it usually goes to -5f) I have seen videos on Conventional vs Synthetic oil flow in cold weather and synthetic was better hands down.

Another thing the dealer wanted $13 for a filter plus a 60cent fee for some environmental garbage so I went to Walmart and got the Purolator filter for under $5.

Anyone else get the scare of increased RPM when going from conventional to synthetic oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Scrivah,

I had a 97 TJ a few years back and only put Mobil 1 synthetic on it as I live in Moncton, NB. Best oil ever, never an issue, Jeep now has over 350 000 km on it, and never do I have to put extra oil. I cannot say that the RPM was faster or not as it survived on synthetic only. Best of luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts