Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order a JK Rubicon as soon as I can test drive an automatic and a stick, thinking stick. I'm wondering about the differences of 430/730 sound system? My plan is to have the Hard top off in summer, not sure I'll use the soft top, if I change my mind are the after market soft tops as good as the factory ones? And finally, I will never tow, any reason to get a tow package?
Thanks

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Did you mean auto and stick? No reason for tow package if you never plan to tow. It should however give you a stiffer suspension.
If you plan on taking the top off then the soft top is much more versatile than the hard top.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm thinking stick or auto. I'm going to use it as a ski rig also, I thought that a soft top might be a problem there. Input on the stereo?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Thanks, I'm thinking stick or auto. I'm going to use it as a ski rig also, I thought that a soft top might be a problem there. Input on the stereo?
they make racks that work with both tops. I believe they also make racks that attach to the tow hitch receiver, so look into that before passing on the tow package.

·
Registered
147 Posts
95% of the time, I'll be using the hitch for a bike rack. However, there are a lot of hitch mounted accessories (cargo rack, hitch-mounted winch, etc) that can be used and for $270, it was a no-brainer.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
95% of the time, I'll be using the hitch for a bike rack. However, there are a lot of hitch mounted accessories (cargo rack, hitch-mounted winch, etc) that can be used and for $270, it was a no-brainer.
However, the receiver can be easily added after for less than $100.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to see some links for ski racks, especially for soft tops, seems like a waste to buy a hard top for just the ski months and have to store it for 8 months a year. I'm guessing a soft top's ok in the snow and cold (I live near the sierras)

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great picture Daggo, I'm impressed, leaning toward a soft top only, if I decide later that I'd like a hard top, can you buy one, and how much $?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
FOUR FLUSHER said:
Great picture Daggo, I'm impressed, leaning toward a soft top only, if I decide later that I'd like a hard top, can you buy one, and how much $?
IMO would go with the duel tops. The soft top is plenty capable all season but.. in the long run you will cut it's life in half. Having the soft top on only during the spring/summer- it will last a very long time with proper care. I had mine for over 10 years and was still functional and no leaking, windows were a lil faded.
The hard top is awfully expensive to buy after- if you have a 4 door model- ouch.
just my .02 but it's your money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can relate to that level of snow. :eek: I just got our 2012 JKU Rubicon and ordered it with dual tops. But, on my 2005 TJ Unlimited I also had dual tops and switched them twice a year. In summer I ran the Sunrider soft top. In winter I ran the hardtop.

I find that the hardtop is easier to load stuff into because of the flip-up tailgate glass. It's also a bit warmer and quieter than the soft top but not seriously enough to put it into the "must have" category. I really like the rear refroster grid, washer, and wiper that's on the hard top when it comes to winter driving around here. The drawbacks to a hardtop in summer is that you don't get the open air and sun unless you do a lot of disassembly work.

The softop lets a bit more exterior noise in and a bit more interior heat but but again, that's not a deal breaker. The drawbacks to a softop in winter is that you don't get a rear defroster, wiper, or washer. You also have to zip and unzip every time you load cargo. Softops get real stiff in cold temps and tighten up. Getting a zipper to operate can be a real challenge, even if they aren't iced up.

The other drawback to soft tops is that they don't last forever. If you run them year-round you'll get half the life out of it than if you only run it in spring and summer. My TJ's soft top probably has shrunk to about 96% after 6 years of part-time use and it's a real chore getting any of the side curtains or rear window to zip into place. Also, the plastic windows get scratched up and are hard to see through after all ofthe dust and dirt has sandblasted them from driving after a while.

If you want to add a soft top later that's not the worst but adding a hardtop later could get expensive. Ordering it from the factory gets you the wiring and washer hose all set up ready to plug in.

Hey, a Jeep just isn't a Jeep unless you can put the top down. If it was me I'd consider the dual top option.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great reply, I'm going with the dual top, now if I could get some more input on the 430/730, I'd be down to waiting to see the Orange color

1 - 16 of 16 Posts