Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok back in the day,my buds and I would take the CJs out wheeling looking for every mudhole and swamp we could find! Sometimes we'd make it through it,other times bury them/ then jack,dig out or winch out then try again with a different line.
Other times we would climb steep hills in the sand pits or on rocky trails.

So my observation and question to everyone is....
Do Jeepers still enjoy the mud? It seems more peeps are into rock crawling and are building their rigs accordingly( which is cool ) But the crawling seen seems to have exploded in my long absence of wheeling.

Am I wrong in my thoughts? Do peeps still enjoy mudding their Jeeps?

Mike

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live and what you have available for wheeling. Not many rocks around here. These days, I also try to avoid really deep, bad mud because of the pain in the rear it is cleaning and repairing everything. Mud is hard on stuff underneath. We just kinda stick to mild trails at time or playing in the snow when we have some.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Do what makes you happy. Rock crawling is in right now. I suspect you don't see as many guys burying their JK's in the mud is all the electronic stuff. You definitely don't want to do it with the top off unless you've done a lot of prep to the interior. A CJ was all metal inside. You could spray the interior out as long as you didn't douse the dash board. You can do the same to a JK but there's a lot more carpet, cloth, electronics, wiring etc.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mud is fun but unpredictable. I don't mean to knock anyone who does it but I just I just feel like rock climbing is more technical and calculated than mudding. You need to use the right line of approach, use directions from your passenger, and exercise patience, etc. The crawling aspect is really exciting (to me). I personally love when the trail has both rocks and mud but I can't see myself going out simply to find mud.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Most JK owners don't like mud because it's a pain to clean it seems. I personally don't care. In college, we used to go abuse a friends CJ7 and bury it in the mud about twice a week. When we got done, we would go rinse it out. One time in the mud, we found a log by piercing the radiator accidentally. After that, we stuck more to trails but still did mud. It's all a matter of what you are willing to do and what is available where you are. My main thing now is the local sand dunes. I can't really justify driving 2 hours for trails to my wife very often.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I avoid mud as well.

Too much of a hassle to deal with.

Plus, you can't "back down" from mud.

Several times I've been on a trail, looked at it and said...."nah"...and ended up backing up. It is usually because the trail was too narrow (I already have plenty of pin stripes, which kinda sucks for someone who isn't a big off-roader), or more recently, I was worried about the approach angle. It was a small hill quickly followed by a larger hill. I did not want to get a stock Wrangler hung up while I was by myself....so backed out of it (rear view camera FTW!). (I actually would have tried it if I could have gotten out of the vehicle and scouted the area a bit better....but the bugs were killer).

Mud is different...there is nothing worse than that sinking feeling in your balls when you realize you are not going to make out if you are buy yourself. Plus there is the whole hydro-lock issue in watery mud....and the clean up.

No thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts