Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my jeep up a few days ago. I have a hard top and I have not taken the freedom panels off yet, so nothing has been touched since it came from the factory. Today it is raining and I took it out to run some errands, looked over and saw dripping from the upper right corner of the passenger door. It wasn't pouring in or anything, but enough to drip all over the door and forearm rest on the door. Its hard to see exactly where the water is getting in. I made sure the window was rolled up tight and also slammed the door shut making sure it was closed all the way. Here is a pic I snapped out on the road:

Has this happened to anyone? I gotta say I am pretty annoyed, especially with a brand new jeep with hard top. I don't want to have to worry about any leaks with my new jeep. I am having flash backs of when I would have to hold a towel against my window with my 2001 when I went to the car wash.

Anyways,

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It has happened to everyone. Almost everyone. Dealer redid my door seals and now it no longer leaks. I fully tighten the 2 knobs on the sound bar - some people do not but try it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Had the same problem brand new 2013 wrangler an never touched the top or anything an it rained super hard an I had 2" of water in my driver side floor board, took it to dealer to get it fix an it still let's in a very small amount, will be takin it back again if it gets worse

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 11 leaked a couple of times shortly after I first got it just like in your pictures. After having the freedom panels out and back in a couple of times I have never had any more problems. You have to be careful putting them back in not to roll a seal or something. Also I have been running without the knobs for a while with no problems even in very heavy rain.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Same here I was going to take it back to dealer, but after I had them out a few times and always clean the rubber up when I put them back in I even put some WD40 on the rubber. The leak just quit. I even went threw a few car washes to see and no leak.
I know the whole idea of it fixing itself sound nuts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Sport S Unlimited has been on order since the middle of August and I can't wait for it to show up. - My first Jeep at 66 years old. Always wanted one. Been driving Subaru Foresters that always seem to start and don't leak.
I can't wait to see where on the passenger side my Jeep will leak and what light or whole cluster goes out when I turn to the left or if the wipers come on when I turn to the right or if the engine catches fire on the way home or if it will even start.
WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT - Why am I leaving Subaru a how come I can't wait to get this thing?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
after reading about all the leaking JKs, i was almost disappointed when i discovered that neither my softop or hardtop on my JK leak a drop. I guess i can look forward to that in a few years when the seals wear out!

·
Registered
271 Posts
You may want to take off and reinstall the panels. On my Jeep when I took a test drive the salesman removed a panel to show my how it worked. After I took delivery I realized he did not reinstall it tightly because I had rattles. I have taken the panels on and off a few times, cleaned the seals and put silicone spray on the seals. No leaks or rattles.

·
Registered
860 Posts
One vote for "unacceptable".

I haven't seen any leaks in my 2013 JKR, but if it happens and I bring it in, the dealer saying "it's a jeep" won't cut it. I'll respond with, "No, it's a $38,000 vehicle...fix it."

My hard top TJ never leaked in 11 years...and neither did the soft top YJ before it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine is a 2012 jku and was leaking on passenger side like yours!! It was accumulating water in the hard top pockets ! Took it to the dealer and they replaced !! With the new one the leaking stop. Check if yours is accumulating water in the inside pockets you can hear the water running around the hard top when you step on the breaks!! In my case it wasn't the rubber but the hard top was taking water through the seals! Good luck!!

·
dirt road inspector
3,010 Posts
Can't help you. I have had my 2007 for five years and my 2012 for a year and neither leak a drop.

I agree with the suggestion to take the Freedom panels off and reinstall them.

Do that and let us know if it help. Bet it will.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i got wet this morning same area as yours but on the driver's side. Had my 2013 since Friday.

My 2010 that i traded in, leaked once or twice when i first got it and then just stopped.

Are people wiping the seals down or anything?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It stopped raining soon after I posted this. I went in my jeep and felt the two knobs for the panel in the soundbar and I was able to tighten them a lot more. Not sure if this will do the trick but we will see next time I'm in rain.

Question though: When you guys tighten the knobs when putting the panels back in, do you tighten them until you can't turn them anymore? I ask because I felt like I could have kept turning them a little, but I didn't want to break anything.

I think I will try taking the freedom panels off this weekend at some point and re-install them, then drive through a car wash or something. Will report back!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i got wet this morning same area as yours but on the driver's side. Had my 2013 since Friday.

My 2010 that i traded in, leaked once or twice when i first got it and then just stopped.

Are people wiping the seals down or anything?
Damn that sucks, let me know if you figure anything out.

·
dirt road inspector
3,010 Posts
I went in my jeep and felt the two knobs for the panel in the soundbar and I was able to tighten them a lot more.
That will not help the leak you had close to the door or anywhere else. That is not their purpose.

When you guys tighten the knobs when putting the panels back in, do you tighten them until you can't turn them anymore?
Do not over tighten them! Again that is not why they are there.
That will not help and could damage the panels. According to Jeep the knobs are there to secure the Freedom panels when the main top is removed but I think they also make it a little more time consuming for a thief to take them. Just my opinion on that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have not used those knobs for months with no issues at all. i just put them back in for the winter. i just snug them up slightly but dont really tighten them up much.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts