Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the jeep last Monday and just filled up today for the first time. I calculated the mpg from the mileage on the trip odometer and the gallons it took to fill up. 12.7 seems really low compared to what others are saying. The computer told me I was getting 14.2 which was better but still. I was getting better mileage in my TJ. I probably drive my vehicles a little harder than most but seriously, I was trying to take it a bit easy since it's so new.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have a 13 JKU Auto with 3.73 and 35s and average between 15-16.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just finished my first tank in my 2013 JKR. 15 even, but that did include 3-4 hours of very mild off road puttering around on my friend's property.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I just drive it like a normal car I can get my '13 JKUR up to about 17 MPG. I have stock everything with the automatic and 4.10 gears. Beter than my Chevy HD2500 and close to what my wife gets in here Nissan Murano.

·
Super Moderator
23,783 Posts
was the tank completely filled when you bought it? If you were relying on the dealer to have it completely filled you might have been a gallon or two shy of topped off.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Did you fill up before you started calculating mileage? If you just drove it with whatever it came with and then filled it full you won't get an accurate mileage figure.

You need to fill it full, drive it for a while and then fill it full again. That way you know how much fuel you actually used.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You will need to put a few miles on the engine before you start getting optimal fuel mileage. I'm on my 3rd tank since I bought my jeep and the fuel mileage does seem a bit better now.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I sit around 15-16 mpg, and that's with mostly driving in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had an opportunity to talk to Chrysler Customer Care about another issue and I asked them about the fuel economy -- because I wasn't seeing anything near what they were advertising.

They told me "you need to get 3500-5000 miles on the engine before you'll see the best fuel economy."

I'm at about 2800 miles right now and the best mileage that I've calculated to date is about 19 -- highway. I've got an auto and 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I was relying on the dealers word that it was full but I figure if it was not quite full then the numbers would be inflated as I went X miles on less gas. It was also almost all city miles.

I guess I'll give it a while before I get too concerned.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
wait until your next tank of gas, then you actually know the numbers. the computer is actually pretty accurate. it's always within 0.5-1mpg of the calculated.

btw in my JKU sport, i get better than the advertised mileage.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you do all around town driving then you'll see 15. If you drive at or near 55mph for any extended period of time then you'll see 20+. Anything over 55 and it starts to drop again. My commute in the NoVa area is half stop and go and half beltway/parkway at 55mph and I am averaging 19-22mpg each tank. I have a scangauge2 hooked into the port and around town in traffic I'm lucky to get 15. I saw absolutely no increase in mpg as the miles accumulated and the engine broke in. That is a myth imo. Same now as it ever was.

·
Super Moderator
23,783 Posts
If you do all around town driving then you'll see 15. If you drive at or near 55mph for any extended period of time then you'll see 20+. Anything over 55 and it starts to drop again. My commute in the NoVa area is half stop and go and half beltway/parkway at 55mph and I am averaging 19-22mpg each tank. I have a scangauge2 hooked into the port and around town in traffic I'm lucky to get 15. I saw absolutely no increase in mpg as the miles accumulated and the engine broke in. That is a myth imo. Same now as it ever was.
i agree my first tank mpg (i topped it off after I picked it up to make sure it was full and it was 4 or so gallons shy) was the same as every other tankfull. been that way with all my vehicles.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My fuel economy has increased slightly with more miles on the engine. But slightly is about 1/2 MPG. I think the mileage statement given to me by CCS is bull, too, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until 3-4K to see if anything improves.

I'm kind of disappointed that this thing is getting the mileage that it is. My old 3.8 w/3.73s and the 4-speed auto cranked out 21.5 on trips at 75 MPH. I haven't even seen 20 yet with this 3.6, but the extra horsepower makes up for it.

Not that I'm complaining too much, though -- if I cared about fuel economy over everything else I wouldn't be driving a Jeep. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've got a stock 13 JKUR with 3.73. After my 4000 miles trip to West Texas and New Mexico, I have 5000 on the clock. I'm averaging slightly more than 20 mpg BUT that was with about 90% highway where I only go 65 AND gasoline that doesn't have 10% ethanol. Ethanol will kick your MPG's way down and so will speed because our Jeeps have really bad aerodynamics. In addition, the 4.10 gears will also hurt if that is what you have.

I actually think that your optimum MPG comes after about 7,000 to 10,000. Of course, maybe Jeep does a better job machining their parts than most other companies but I doubt it and most other vehicles don't reach their optimum until about 7 to 10K.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a brand new '13 JKU and dealer gave me the Jeep with a full tank. Averaged 19.2mpg my first tank and 19.3mpg the 2nd. I'm currently on my 3rd and the computer is saying 20mpg. This is with an Auto with 3.21 gears though and ~800 miles. Probably 75% highway miles as well.

I'd wait until the next tank and calculate both by hand as well as the computer and see...shouldn't be more than -5% off from what I've found.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not that I'm complaining too much, though -- if I cared about fuel economy over everything else I wouldn't be driving a Jeep. :)
Well, there's that too. :thumb:

I realize that no matter what I'll probably get the worse mileage of any stock JK owner since it does have the 4.10 gears, I'm 98% city driver and I'm heavy on the throttle. I just figured I'd get about the same as my TJ.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ours hasn't changed a bit since we got it other than when the head took a dump. It's been 18-19 very consistently. I also think the better mileage with break in is false. Maybe 20-30 years ago when there was actually break in to be done, but not now that every thing is rollerized. If there is an improvement it's so small you aren't going to recognize it. The direction the wind blows changes the mileage by 4-5 mpg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.