Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. First off, I believe this is my first post on the forum, but I have been reading almost everyday for the past two years and bought my first Jeep just over a year ago. So thank you to everyone as you were a major influence in my purchase and made the process much easier.

As for the bad news, I was rear ended today as I was at a dead stop in traffic on the freeway. The driver in the other car must have been going at least 30-35 mph and slammed right into the back of me. As I started to pull over, the other driver swerved to the right, hit the gas, and before I knew it had driven about a half mile on the shoulder and swerved back onto the freeway and most likely got off on the next exit. Even though we were quite a bit behind you could definitely tell their car was in pretty bad shape as their hood looked like an accordion.

For the good news, I can't believe how strong the back of the Jeep is. Although I was hit pretty hard, it looks like the only damage is the spare tire is slanted down into the rear bumper, there is a few marks on the bumper, and the tow hook is pretty beat up. However, the rest looks like nothing ever even happened! When I first got out of the Jeep, I was expecting a lot of damage and possibly a popped rear tire, but my wife and I both looked at each other in disbelief. As we drove away, after we talked with the CHP, first thing my wife said was 'I need a Jeep too now!' As safety was one of my primary worries when I bought it, I am happy to say a Wrangler definitely holds up, especially with the steel bumpers on mine.

I have attempted to attach a picture below of the spare to show the slant into the bumper. Is there anything else you all would look out for as it is repaired? I appreciate all of you help.

p.s. We were both fine, just a bit sore.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am glad to learn you are both "fine".

If the other car was going 35 mph when it hit you I would take the Jeep to a good body shop to ensure there is no major damage. If your rear hook is bent, you might want to check the muffler and tail pipes out.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That sucks the guy got away, he's lucky he hit a nice guy, and not someone else that would have tracked him down.

Glad no one was hurt! That spare misaligned like that, the spare or the mount isn't bent, unfortunately the tailgate and possible the tub/quarters too. You may be surprised at what it'll take to fix it, but be patient and find a reputable body shop, and they'll get it fixed up right, no problem.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sorry about the accident and glad to hear you're OK. With the spare tire bent like that, it is more than likely your tailgate welds have popped and you'll need a new one. As mentioned go to a quality reputable collision repair and have things checked. You want a collision repair shop and not just a "body" shop. Check the tailgate, frame, suspension, muffler, etc.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just an observation.. but what tail lights or tail light covers are those?.. if they have restricted the red color of your tail lights.. then I would have held you responsible as the "black out" covers or paint is illegal and a person can't see your red brake light clearly.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Pretty sure those are some type of led brake lights and still doesn't give the person the right to drive off after an accident and you should still be in control of your car even if those tail lights are illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts