Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Go for it or keep looking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've previously posted in this forum for advice, as I'm a first time buyer, and am again looking for some opinions. I'm currently looking at this 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport w/ 87,418 miles. I feel it's pretty overpriced, but am prepared to work that down in negotiations, and hoping they'll tac on an extended warranty as well. There are two links because one doesn't have photos yet (they've only had it for a couple days)...

I'm coming on here asking for opinions/suggestions on what I need to thoroughly check before buying, any know issues with this year/model combo, and just general thoughts. I've heard some things about the 2012 being a troubled year, and other things about how there 2012 was just fine and still kickin'. In my opinion, after reviewing the Carfax and being in the vehicle/test driving, this appears to have been someones DD, having about 10K put on it a year, and it also has a few "mom's car" stickers on it. The interior was ship-shape, and there were no noticeable signs of off-road wear. This will be a daily driver for me.

Any and all advice is incredibly appreciated. Thank you so much

-D.J.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As you know wrangler pricing is all over the board. I'm sure you can dig around and find one a little bit cheaper but you can also find one that's going to cost you more for the same here it just really depends the shape of the Jeep and how you feel about it that's not horrible miles not great miles but not horrible either in 25000 is about what I thought you would expect.
Main considerations are side airbags climate control how good are the tires a lot of different variables go into the pricing.
You have no leather or painted top and fenders.
By Kansas City there is a 2013 10th anniversary rubicon for a few thousand more than that it has a lot more goodies. So you just never know.
Eads

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
That is up to you. That is not one I would want, but it may be what you are looking at. I would want a nicer one, with more comfort and performance upgrades. But that is me.
I will point out that 2012's, more than other years, have issues with the cylinder heads. I think it is the right side head, but I could have it backwards. Has this one had the head replaced?
That would be important to know.
I would also be sure to thoroughly inspect it to make sure it is indeed stock and unmolested.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That is up to you. That is not one I would want, but it may be what you are looking at. I would want a nicer one, with more comfort and performance upgrades. But that is me.
I will point out that 2012's, more than other years, have issues with the cylinder heads. I think it is the right side head, but I could have it backwards. Has this one had the head replaced?
That would be important to know.
I would also be sure to thoroughly inspect it to make sure it is indeed stock and unmolested.
just an FYI they did extend the head warranty to 150K miles so plenty of miles left if it does go bad. BTW I thought it was the left, but I could be backwards...LOL

just for reference I bought my 2012 rubicon COD MW3 edition fully loaded with extras(lift, wheels, winch, lights) in march in Roselle IL with 84K miles for 22k.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
Not that over priced according to KBB. But - I certainly wouldn't pay that for an 8-9 year old Sport. From the wheels, I would assume a Sport S, although the listing states "steel wheels" but the photo definitely shows alloy wheels. If it has power windows/locks then it is a Sport S.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
25 seems way high to me. I paid $27,500 for my new 2012 in 2012. Custom ordered and drove it away with 2 miles on it. in the Pac NW, it's probably worth around 19 now with 78,500 miles.

·
Registered
09, 2 dr, soft top sport
213 Posts
there must be a jeep garage in the area you can arrange to have them look at it, they will also most likely know about the local jeep clubs and trails, an onsite expert is the best option, but the rear tire carrier is always a problem, take the spare off, does it come off? is the carrier cracked or smashed, hinges get weak, kids hang off the door, crack welds. check all the drain plugs, are there rubber plugs, big rusty holes, do the front axle seals leak, there is a lot to look at. I bought a 2 door 09 sport with 50000 miles for $18k 2 years ago, im happy with it, even after fixing all the above issues

·
Premium Member
9,935 Posts
25 seems way high to me. I paid $27,500 for my new 2012 in 2012. Custom ordered and drove it away with 2 miles on it. in the Pac NW, it's probably worth around 19 now with 78,500 miles.
What I stated, was based in the KBB valuation, it was not that over priced. But, I then also said that I wouldn't pay that for it. When I bought my TJ I first knocked $1000 off what they were asking for it, and then negotiated down from there. Of course I was limited in a bit because it was a Rubicon and I was actually second in line. The first buyer flamed out when he couldn't get the financing, something I didn't have any problem with.

Used Jeeps are one of the hardest vehicles to really accurately price in the used market. Valuation likes to use actual sales of vehicles with similar equipment and mileage. Most of us know that finding another Jeep very similar to one we have or are looking at is very difficult because of the prevalence of customizing and turnover is actually very low compared to "cars". A dealer will use either KBB or NADA to price the vehicle, expecting to come down a bit, but that doesn't mean we have to pay it, unless it is a real gem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I can only tell you my experience. 6 months ago I bought a 2016 JKU Sahara with all bells and whistles like seat heaters etc. Purchased stock for 26k and had 29k miles. This was out in georgia. I took it back to the west coast and after adding about 3k of mods like tires wheels and lift I got it appraised at carmax for 31k. My insurance with progressive had it appraised at 34,500 without any mods. It took me about
9 months of knowing I wanted a jeep and searching to come across this. My advice is to keep waiting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.