Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! This is my first time buying a Jeep Wrangler and I feel totally lost. I'm looking through a few links online and came across a few that look good, but would love some input. I'm planning on paying cash and my budget is around $30,000 CAD. My plans for this Jeep are to use it mostly for camping / travel / off-road.

What do you think?

1. 2016 Jeep Wrangler SAHARA 4X4 ÉCRAN TACTILE NAV SIÈGES CHAUF BAS KM - Mirabel

2. 2017 Jeep Wrangler (21-32A) used for sale at $34,575

3. Jeep Wrangler 2013 (21-92A) usagé à vendre à $23,477

4. Jeep Wrangler 2012 (4-UM309A) usagé à vendre à $25,995

5. 2015 Jeep WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 2 TOITS | V6 - 4X4 - BLUETOOTH - A/C - Candiac

Would REALLY appreciate your help! Thanks so much...

·
Super Moderator
10,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Moved your thread to the JK section. You should get responses here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It can definitely be overwhelming, and only gets worse once you start modifying things! I think the first thing you have to decide is do you want it to be loaded with all the things you want initially, or do you plan to add them later? This changes things significantly. From there figure out your must have options, and search against those. Underneath it all, there isn't a lot of difference between the low end and high on a JK from 12-18. They all have pretty much the same bones, and you can get almost any option aftermarket (often cheaper and better).

I just went through this myself. I spent months researching and finally narrowed down the options that were important to me, then searched the entire US to find the specs I was looking for. I created a spreadsheet with year, model/trim, color, mileage, asking price, VIN, dealer/seller location, carfax, sticker, & pros/cons for each Jeep I was interested in. I checked the carfax and window sticker of each Jeep. If it didn't have my must have options, or looked shady on carfax, it was out. This was the site I used for finding the window sticker: Use your VIN number to get Jeep Window Sticker

Search against multiple used car search engines. Not sure about CA, but here I found cargurus, autotempest, & autotrader to be the most useful. I also looked at carmax, carvana, and vroom daily. You'll know the right one for you when you see it. Or at least a handful of them ;)

To be honest, I have some regrets about some of the options I thought I wanted it to have. I'm already looking to replace several, and could have saved some money by not getting a Jeep that already had them.

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can definitely be overwhelming, and only gets worse once you start modifying things! I think the first thing you have to decide is do you want it to be loaded with all the things you want initially, or do you plan to add them later? This changes things significantly. From there figure out your must have options, and search against those. Underneath it all, there isn't a lot of difference between the low end and high on a JK from 12-18. They all have pretty much the same bones, and you can get almost any option aftermarket (often cheaper and better).

I just went through this myself. I spent months researching and finally narrowed down the options that were important to me, then searched the entire US to find the specs I was looking for. I created a spreadsheet with year, model/trim, color, mileage, asking price, VIN, dealer/seller location, carfax, sticker, & pros/cons for each Jeep I was interested in. I checked the carfax and window sticker of each Jeep. If it didn't have my must have options, or looked shady on carfax, it was out. This was the site I used for finding the window sticker: Use your VIN number to get Jeep Window Sticker

Search against multiple used car search engines. Not sure about CA, but here I found cargurus, autotempest, & autotrader to be the most useful. I also looked at carmax, carvana, and vroom daily. You'll know the right one for you when you see it. Or at least a handful of them ;)

To be honest, I have some regrets about some of the options I thought I wanted it to have. I'm already looking to replace several, and could have saved some money by not getting a Jeep that already had them.

Good luck, and welcome!
Thanks for the advice :) I think the problem is that I don't know exactly what is best for what I plan to use it for (camping / travel / off-road). I like your idea of creating a spreadsheet to break everything down in front of you. This might sound silly, but where can I find the VIN number when searching on autotrader?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest you buy a brand new jeep
Hey! Thanks for your response. Care to elaborate? I was looking to build my own on the Jeep website but they start around $40000 CAD and I was planning to pay around $30000 cash. I was thinking of perhaps putting down the $30000 and then financing the rest but not sure how I feel about financing a car....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey! Thanks for your response. Care to elaborate? I was looking to build my own on the Jeep website but they start around $40000 CAD and I was planning to pay around $30000 cash. I was thinking of perhaps putting down the $30000 and then financing the rest but not sure how I feel about financing a car....
That's exactly a good plan if I were you :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think he may have meant that the way Wranglers hold their value so much that sometimes it's better to buy a new one for not a lot more than what a used one would go for. Then you also get a full warranty and the peace of mind knowing that someone else hasn't abused it as much. As crazy as it seems and as lowish-quality Wranglers are, they hold their value more than just about any other vehicle out there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think he may have meant that the way Wranglers hold their value so much that sometimes it's better to buy a new one for not a lot more than what a used one would go for. Then you also get a full warranty and the peace of mind knowing that someone else hasn't abused it as much. As crazy as it seems and as lowish-quality Wranglers are, they hold their value more than just about any other vehicle out there.
I'd definitely agree with this on the low end. I don't know what $30000 in monopoly money translates to, but if it's on the lower side and you can get a new one for nearly the same, then by all means go for new. When I considered it, there was just no way. I wanted a fairly loaded Jeep, so it's nearly double the cost for a new one in the range I was looking. As much as I'd like a brand new rubi, there's no way in hell I'd spend upwards of $60k on one! Funny/sad fact, the sticker on my rubi is higher than my Audi which is 100x nicer of a vehicle. My Durango R/T is higher than both though. FCA is crazy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
We Americans are crazy about the "iconic" Jeep Wrangler.
That is the problem and FCA Stelantis are banking on it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a good way to look at it! I am guessing you bought yours new?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That is a good way to look at it! I am guessing you bought yours new?
LOL, no, I didn't. It was 5 years old when I bought it 6 years ago. The used prices weren't quite as crazy as they are now. I'm not saying it's definitely better to buy new, just that it might be worth it depending on what you're looking for.

Reactions: 1740899

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd definitely agree with this on the low end. I don't know what $30000 in monopoly money translates to, but if it's on the lower side and you can get a new one for nearly the same, then by all means go for new. When I considered it, there was just no way. I wanted a fairly loaded Jeep, so it's nearly double the cost for a new one in the range I was looking. As much as I'd like a brand new rubi, there's no way in hell I'd spend upwards of $60k on one! Funny/sad fact, the sticker on my rubi is higher than my Audi which is 100x nicer of a vehicle. My Durango R/T is higher than both though. FCA is crazy.
LOL Monopoly money :p well $30000 CAD would be around $24000 USD

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL Monopoly money :p well $30000 CAD would be around $24000 USD
Yeah, for close to that you could get a pretty bare bones new one. Or you could get a pretty nice one that's about 4 or 5 years old depending on trim/options. I think you'd have to go look at a new JL, then find a good example of a JK you're interested in and compare.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi there! This is my first time buying a Jeep Wrangler and I feel totally lost. I'm looking through a few links online and came across a few that look good, but would love some input. I'm planning on paying cash and my budget is around $30,000 CAD. My plans for this Jeep are to use it mostly for camping / travel / off-road.

What do you think?
If you want a JKU, you need to find one that has the lowest mileage, that is the newest, with the best overall condition while being unmodified.

On pictures, all used JKU look great. You really need to see them with your eyes. Look underneath; in Québec in the winter the road are covered with large amount of road salt that make Jeeps rust. Under the Wrangler you should see poorly painted steel. If you see some kind of rubberized undercoating, run away as no Wrangler left the factory with any type of undercoating.

The first one in your list has mismatch wheels and four of them are not OEM wheel, scratch it off your list.

The second one has all five identical wheels, and while they are factory wheels, they are black and as far as I know no Sahara were ever delivered with black wheels, scratch it off your list.

Even used, they are expensive, you want it to be original; Not a mix and match of different parts.

A brand new JLU Sahara (let's compare it with a Sahara, because this is what you listed) is going to be approximately $55 000 CAD plus in 15% sale taxes.

I have a 2018 JKU Sahara automatic with Uconnect and Limited Slip. The only thing I do not like is a 3.21 gearing.
Before jumping into my JKU, I drove German cars most of my life; I knew the Wrangler was poorly designed and cheaply build but I was in shock for several months.

I would buy the very same Jeep again.

Bonne chance :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want a JKU, you need to find one that has the lowest mileage, that is the newest, with the best overall condition while being unmodified.

On pictures, all used JKU look great. You really need to see them with your eyes. Look underneath; in Québec in the winter the road are covered with large amount of road salt that make Jeeps rust. Under the Wrangler you should see poorly painted steel. If you see some kind of rubberized undercoating, run away as no Wrangler left the factory with any type of undercoating.

The first one in your list has mismatch wheels and four of them are not OEM wheel, scratch it off your list.

The second one has all five identical wheels, and while they are factory wheels, they are black and as far as I know no Sahara were ever delivered with black wheels, scratch it off your list.

Even used, they are expensive, you want it to be original; Not a mix and match of different parts.

A brand new JLU Sahara (let's compare it with a Sahara, because this is what you listed) is going to be approximately $55 000 CAD plus in 15% sale taxes.

I have a 2018 JKU Sahara automatic with Uconnect and Limited Slip. The only thing I do not like is a 3.21 gearing.
Before jumping into my JKU, I drove German cars most of my life; I knew the Wrangler was poorly designed and cheaply build but I was in shock for several months.

I would buy the very same Jeep again.

Bonne chance :)
Hi! Merci beaucoup / Thank you so much for all of the info :) I don't know much about cars and so I wouldn't have known that the first listing had mismatched tires. I googled OEM and I am guessing you mean the original tires? Does that matter at all? From what I've gathered so far from this thread and other places online, it seems like buying new is ideal...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi! Merci beaucoup / Thank you so much for all of the info :) I don't know much about cars and so I wouldn't have known that the first listing had mismatched tires. I googled OEM and I am guessing you mean the original tires? Does that matter at all? From what I've gathered so far from this thread and other places online, it seems like buying new is ideal...
I meant the wheels. This is the second one you listed; the spare wheel and tire are still original, but the other four wheels and tires have been replaced. If you check the pictures again, you will even notice that the left rear fender was replaced and is totally different from the right rear fender.

The tires eventually get replaced, but having the five original wheels is better.

If you want a JKU, it will have to be used. A JLU will be a much bigger expense. Used Wrangler are being bought all the time. The JK production stopped during spring of 2018; a 2018 JKU is only three years old. The 2018 JK have "Wrangler JK" written on their side, while for the previous years it was simply "Wrangler". Also, the 2018 JK do not have the "1941 Jeep icon" on their wheels. If your mind is set on paying cash and you find a late model JKU that is totally original and within your budget you could achieve your goal of owning a Wrangler without having to make payment every month.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Yeah, for close to that you could get a pretty bare bones new one. Or you could get a pretty nice one that's about 4 or 5 years old depending on trim/options. I think you'd have to go look at a new JL, then find a good example of a JK you're interested in and compare.
If you think you can get a bare bones new Wrangler Sport for $24,000 you obviously haven't looked at their website in years. They start at $33,210 MSRP and go up. While you might get some off the MSRP, I doubt you would find any available for less than $30K US$.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts