Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my Name is Brian, and I'm new to the site. I have A few questions and wanting your opinions on a jeep I am potentially going to buy. It's a 1990 jeep yj 4.2l 5 speed. It has a new head, carb, starter,radiator and a few other parts that were swapped with new parts like a new transmission and rebuilt tcase. The bottom end has around 200k miles. The frame has been repaired were the back springs mount as in typical yj's. interior is good with slight cuts and tears in the seat. All the floor pans look awesome with no rust. Only rust is on the fenders and around wheel wells, and the windshield frame as well. 1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was asking what you guys thought of the jeep. As in is it a good jeep and worth the time to have it. And any other tips or ideas you have on it would be awesome

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Are you mechanically inclined? Can you do body work?

It obviously has cancer, but its the cancer you cannot see that could kill you. (figuratively speaking)

My opinion, not a good price for what it is, depending on your skills and what you expect out of that Jeep.

I wouldnt pay more than $2000 for it. If I was able to look it over real good and drive it and it was in exceptional shape otherwise, then I might consider more; but I suspect for that price the guy got in over his head and is trying to cut his losses.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you are planning on driving it daily.....then I would pass on that one.

Ditto if your mechanic skills are modest.

If you're a true gearhead who wants a beater/project.....then low ball the heck outta him & see what he bites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm mechanically inclined. Worked on many other cars. I've never done body work though. I test drive it the other day and looked over a lot of the small things that had me worried. The old owner bought it 6 years ago and has been road legal ever since he owned it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Compare the price and condition along side others in your area. Prices vary by locality. Also cruise the threads here and see what other people are working on. Buying a 22 year old Jeep is something you have to figure out. For my area $2900 is good but that is here in the desert where YJs for sale is rare and they have no rust if they are from here. Think it over.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
looks like a project jeep. if hes asking 2900 you can probably get it for around 2500.
in my area that would be a good price. if you have the time and money it could be pretty nice by spring, but if your looking for some thing to drive now I'd pass.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That one looks real nice as compared. Around here it would not last long at $4000. Only con in my opinion is its an automatic; I prefer stick. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lived in Ohio for ten years and bought nine different cars around the state. Finding a 15 year old vehicle with that little rust would be a god send but the low price would make me a little wary. Get under the TJ and check the brackets. If it is only scale rust then it is a good deal but if they look like they are ready to leave the frame I'd look elsewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts