Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 2012 jeep Sahara unlimited with 126k miles, which is a lot so I hope it’s worth it. It’s also my first car so I have no car knowledge whatsoever. Does anyone have any tips or tidbits about this car? Or anything super cool? I know jeeps have a lot of Eastereggs but does this model that I own have any?

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Also it is a Utility Vehicle not a SUV.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
We need more information about what is already on the Jeep. Tires, lift, steering components, etc. You also may notice that most of my questions involve mechanical and practical performance, off road capabilities, and safe handling things. I think what makes a Jeep a Jeep is its off road creds. I'm not much into bolt on appearance packages, but everyone makes their Jeep the way they like it .

To me, a Jeep with a good off-road tire and wheel (17" wheels....not 22") package and the quality, properly installed, lift to go with it is what looks good and "cool". ..... but that's just me.

Give us more info on your Jeep and a general idea of what direction you'd like to go and we can be of more help.

This is not my Jeep, but a photo I saved of what represents "cool" to me.

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
That's two thirds of what SUV stands for lol
SUV's came long after the Jeep was introduce. Even on my registration is says Utility Vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
We need more information about what is already on the Jeep. Tires, lift, steering components, etc. You also may notice that most of my questions involve mechanical and practical performance, off road capabilities, and safe handling things. I think what makes a Jeep a Jeep is its off road creds. I'm not much into bolt on appearance packages, but everyone makes their Jeep the way they like it .

To me, a Jeep with a good off-road tire and wheel (17" wheels....not 22") package and the quality, properly installed, lift to go with it is what looks good and "cool". ..... but that's just me.

Give us more info on your Jeep and a general idea of what direction you'd like to go and we can be of more help.

This is not my Jeep, but a photo I saved of what represents "cool" to me.
Poison Spyder Customs all the way around. Are those standard or narrow width fender flares?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Here is my prediction. You will either be a Jeep owner for life or you will be selling it within the next 5 months. The fact you called it a gas guzzler in your title says you are already concerned with fuel mileage. If so it's not the vehicle for you, there is really no way to make them good on gas. Compared to some other vehicles they are not horrible but if you are wanting to get 25-30 mpg's you will never do that.

Have fun with it and post some pics. Get the top and doors off as soon as you can.

Reactions: sensual_drip

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the club, there is a ton of info out here on the site for reference. Jeeps aren't super difficult to learn to work on. You'll be up to speed in no time. Also, don't pay any mind to the people arguing semantics.

Reactions: Coralbluenumbertwo

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you think your Jeep is bad on mileage stock , wait until you start modding it. A more accurate representation would be smiles per gallon pre and post mods.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
My first vehicle was an Italian Sports Car (FIAT). I worked on it at least twice each week just to keep it running. It was only 7 years old at the time. That acronym Fix It Again Tony was very appropriate. You should be expecting some regular maintenance of items that begin to wear with any vehicle at over 100k miles. Transmissions, power steering, water pump and other more minor things. If it's been used off road in an abusive manor it might need more drive line work. If it's just been a daily driver and not pushed off road much it could go for another 100k miles with no major issues. Just take care of it and enjoy it.

My 2017 JKUR with 33" tires that are wider than the stock tires and has a few add-ons that have increased the weight. I see 19 mpg on a highway drive at 60 mph. My average weekly commutes are closer to 14.5 mpg. When new and stock I saw as high as 24 mpg . . . one time. But only on the reading during a long highway drive . . . downhill with a tail wind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts