Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my first jeep! Pretty excited about it, have owned just about every other type of vehicle! LOL Searched Craigslist all summer and really wanted a YJ because I just always thought it was the best looking body. Upon my search I found several that I brought back to my shop to look at and as soon as I lifted them up I was poking my screwdriver through the frame, body, suspension. Too many that were ready for the junk yard and asking 4-5k for them still! haha Well I finally found mine and it was some high school kids car that he beat up beyond his repair! Its black with a Rough country 4in suspension lift sitting on 31's. Factory installed A/C. Hard top with a soft top to look like a truck. Had some huge bull bar on the front which may or may not stay with some lights on the front, nothing fancy. The 4X4 was inop, no a/c, intermittent heat, no exhaust, and sounded like the body was going to rattle or fall off the frame! But what sold me was the lack of rust and was the engine and trans that I really wanted, auto with the straight 6. Cost 3,000 cuz no one else was interested because of all the issues, hopefully its a fair price. Luckily we have been very slow at the shop so I had three days to do nothing but work on the Jeep. So first I wanted to wash the old owner out and make it my own. I stripped the interior and pressure washed it out. Previous owner must have used the bed liner and redone the floors. Also there had to have been one of those aluminum or carbon fiber stickers over the whole dash cuz the residue was all over and took forever with 3M adhesive remover and a razer blade. Then I took out the buffer and waxed the paint and brought it back to life...somewhat lol. Then took off the wheels and used chrome polishing compound for a couple hours and erased most of the oxidation off the rims.
After it had the looks it was time for the serious work I found half of the bolts for the suspension were loose and that is why it felt like the body was going to rattle off. So I tightend and checked every bolt underneath.
Checked the 4x4 and light did not turn on dash so checked vacuum lines and all were good so using an actual vacuum gauge on the two nipples on the vacuum diaphragm applied vacuum and nothing happened at first then the light came on. Must have been just sticking and motor didn't have enough vacuum to unstick it! another free fix!
Next was the exhaust. The kid i bought it from told me the only thing he did was put a new exhaust manifold on it as it had a crack in it. Pretty typical from what i have heard. So i guess he put on a racing header cuz he chopped and removed the cat and put a straight pipe in with a glass pack at the end dumping directly on the rear axle. Really loud and droned bad almost undrivable. So I picked up a cheep muffler and exhaust pipe and put a new exhaust on. Left no cat so it still had a little noise.
Found as far as the heat and AC that a fuse was just burnt at the contacts, fuse was good though hense the heat working sometimes. As soon as I turned on the AC I heard the compressor click so I hooked up the guages and found a little low and added 3/4 of a lb and AC was ice cold!
While I wad messing with the heat looking at the blower motor and resister I found a plug hanging which went to the door switch. Plugged it in and nothing. Both bulbs were out and drivers switch was broke so I just put the switch on the drivers side and a couple bulbs! Interior lights now!
Found left rear brake line replaced and instead of taking out the old line they just threw the new one over top. So I took it out and bent it to its proper place and no more rattle.
Replaced the drivebelt that squeaked and did an oil change. All and all I spent 235.00 bucks fixing it up and I can't find any other serious issues to address.
Hopefully this will be a good jeep for me and can't wait to put on some more fun toys to play with and take it on some trails and see how she handles! What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually a guy at work just bought new tires for his truck so I got 4 tires in decent condition they are 35's just I would need bigger rims. Not sure I want to deal with the noise though cuz this is going to be my new daily driver. Not to mention another mpg less lol.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum and great looking rig. I see you are already addicted so I will hold the addiction jokes. Great to see another good looking Jeep has been saved.

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome to your biggest addiction of your life.... dont fret, you may wake up and stare at it in the middle of the night because you had an idea, but that is just a jeep thing, you will soon understand.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
whyteYJeep said:
welcome to your biggest addiction of your life.... dont fret, you may wake up and stare at it in the middle of the night because you had an idea, but that is just a jeep thing, you will soon understand.
Its like crack..... ull buy few things for it... then more... then.... u blow like 10gs in upgrades but deep down inside ull fell its worth it! I fell under that spell... now I got a kick ass jeep and love it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
true true..... my wife says i spend more money on that jeep than i do on her. lol.....
only thing is the jeep doesnt get spoiled.....

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Nice find and great solutions! Welcome!:wavey:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! Question though. The shocks are not blown yet but the bottom bushings are wiped out, you can move them back and fourth around the sleve. The ride is a little rough so I was thinking on replacing the shocks. Can I still get any shock for this since I have a 4" suspension lift or do I need to get bigger shocks? Sorry for maybe a dumb question but I have been mostly into performance cars never lifted anything. lol Maybe start a new thread for this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as the addiction I already have a list of crap I am going to be buying for it. Maybe Next winter I will install the safe-t-frame for the rear so its safe. I need some new rims and tires. maybe 33s with the black steelie rims, lots more lights, prob mirrior lights and light bar for the top with one on the back for tailgaters lol, shocks, brakes all around, seat covers, and re evaluate after all that! suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
nickbdub22 said:
Thanks guys! Question though. The shocks are not blown yet but the bottom bushings are wiped out, you can move them back and fourth around the sleve. The ride is a little rough so I was thinking on replacing the shocks. Can I still get any shock for this since I have a 4" suspension lift or do I need to get bigger shocks? Sorry for maybe a dumb question but I have been mostly into performance cars never lifted anything. lol Maybe start a new thread for this?
Id look up what type of lift you have and see if you can order the shocks or pull one shock out and go to an auto parts store and see if they could match one up. But explane its lifted. I made the mistake of ordering stock ones and they didn't fit to well lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yeah, you need to get shocks for a 4-6 lift. by lifting on a stock shock you pull the shock up and make it pretty much useless...... and the addiction goes on and on, by the time you get three things you want you will be looking to replace the first thing with something better. i find myself buying parts and then trading the off or selling them to buy better and bigger...... just saying. Also i must say. you must not have alot of tree covered trails there in IL. because i know here in southwest ohio i see alot of light bars get hung up in limbs and things....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts