Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how many victims out there bought a jeep without knowing anything about gear options and it's impact on mods. Most newbies like myself ended up realizing they have 3.21s ( which seemed to be flooding dealer lots) So this is my attempt to help out future jeepers make the right choice.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Gears are changeable, and not all that expensive to do so.
What mods are you doing, that a 3.21 gear prohibits? Did you specifically tell your salesman what your intentions were in respect to future mods?

And last, how are you a "victim"?

A little product knowledge beforehand is a great benefit to you and the seller. That way everybody understands what you are looking for, and usually will try and steer you towards what you need. It isn't necessarily the salesman's job to know. (It's nice, it's preferable, but buyer beware!) Most people take the time to educate themselves before making a large purchase. You apparently didn't. No "victim" here. :popcorn:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not complaining ing about my gears just an fyi for future jeepers. 3.21 is fine with my wheel package.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
I bought my jeep totally ignorant of gear ratios, got the 3.21's on my 2dr 2010 manual. I didn't know when i bought it that i was going to want bigger tires. But that changed. It is tolerable with 33s. Tolerable.

Saving up for a 4.88 regear so that i won't have to just tolerate my gearing, but enjoy it :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You have apparently never had it done. This is usually the most expensive thing people have done to their Jeep. $2k is a pretty steep price to pay for something that options for $100, especially when you risk losing warranty coverage on the axles.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignorant is more appropriate then my victim comment. Lesson learned., won't happen on my next jeep. I

·
Registered
820 Posts
You have apparently never had it done. This is usually the most expensive thing people have done to their Jeep. $2k is a pretty steep price to pay for something that options for $100, especially when you risk losing warranty coverage on the axles.

You're right, I haven't needed to. And $2K to me may not be the same as to others, especially when factored into the overall cost of adding whatever mods that require the higher gearing in the first place.

I don't mean to pile on the OP, it happened unfortunately. I did do some research up front, looked at buying a '12 JKU off the lot with 3.21 gears and doing a gear swap... and as you stated getting it added on as an option for <$100 from the factory made a HELLUVA lot more sense. Hence, I ordered my JKU Sport with 3.73's as well as all the other crap I wanted specifically. I waited 5 weeks for my Jeep, but I'm far happier with my purchase by doing so.

To OP, please don't take my comments as a put down, just a reminder to everyone that you can save yourself some headache by not rushing in to buy, unprepared. And, as I said before, you're not LOCKED into your mistake. It is correctable, just a little more expensive. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No offense taken. knowing what I've learned here gears matter depending on your mod intentions.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If your paying 2k to regear you are getting hosed.I just saw a complete set of axles 3.73 on craigslist with 30 miles on them for $1500. The guy swapped out a set of 44s off a Rubicon the day he bought his JK and has them for sale.

For install kit and gear sets and carrier if needed you might be looking at $600 in parts ? Then maybe another $600 for install. I would do them myself but I know most people dont have the ability but even paying for the install I wouldnt pay a dime over $1200 .

I will still stick to my opinion that most people that DD and occasionally wheel with 33" or smaller tires will be happy with the 3.21 on 2012+ with the auto.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If your paying 2k to regear you are getting hosed.I just saw a complete set of axles 3.73 on craigslist with 30 miles on them for $1500. The guy swapped out a set of 44s off a Rubicon the day he bought his JK and has them for sale.

For install kit and gear sets and carrier if needed you might be looking at $600 in parts ? Then maybe another $600 for install. I would do them myself but I know most people dont have the ability but even paying for the install I wouldnt pay a dime over $1200 .

I will still stick to my opinion that most people that DD and occasionally wheel with 33" or smaller tires will be happy with the 3.21 on 2012+ with the auto.
And you apparently haven't done it either. $2k is a worst case scenario, but is not a screw job by any means. You do need carriers if you have factory 3.21s, which adds a couple hundred and you are also pretty light on the labor by about half at current shop rates. There are places out there that advertise the job at $1000, but that is rare and is strictly a gear swap using existing carriers. If you're smart you will buy the parts from the shop doing the install and they are going to want to make a little bit there too.

Doing it yourself is not an option for most people. If you don't have the tools to do it, you will be spending as much on tools to do the job as the labor would cost you and then you still have to know how to set the gears up.

Finding a new set of bolt in 3.73 axles is a one in a thousand shot (if that frequent). I don't know why you would even mention it. Used axles are a crap shoot and will cost just as much as regearing when the job is finished.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm using 35" tires and 3.21 gears. No issues with the performance. New gearing may be in my future, but right now the Jeep does everything I expect it to with no problems. With the Pentastar engine the power through 3.21 gears is more than adequate. Much different than my Rubi was with the straight 6.

·
Registered
211 Posts
3.21 should have never been offered. Jeeps attempt at getting better highway mileage.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ignorant is more appropriate then my victim comment. Lesson learned., won't happen on my next jeep. I

X3.

I think there are a lot of things that I'll do different on the next one.

With that said, I don't think it's a "victim" situation. I bought a Jeep so I could take the top off when I went to the beach. I didn't think I wanted bigger tires, or a Congo cage, or rooftop tent, or a wench, or... Or... Or... It's only after I joined the forums and started learning about the versatility that I started wanting things.

Before I learned of the community, I thought I'd just take the top off and buy some big boy tires and that'd be it.... I'm learning different everyday.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
And you apparently haven't done it either. $2k is a worst case scenario, but is not a screw job by any means. You do need carriers if you have factory 3.21s, which adds a couple hundred and you are also pretty light on the labor by about half at current shop rates. There are places out there that advertise the job at $1000, but that is rare and is strictly a gear swap using existing carriers. If you're smart you will buy the parts from the shop doing the install and they are going to want to make a little bit there too.

Doing it yourself is not an option for most people. If you don't have the tools to do it, you will be spending as much on tools to do the job as the labor would cost you and then you still have to know how to set the gears up.

Finding a new set of bolt in 3.73 axles is a one in a thousand shot (if that frequent). I don't know why you would even mention it. Used axles are a crap shoot and will cost just as much as regearing when the job is finished.

I actually have done a few gear changes in my days. I worked for Dana building axles and prop shafts for about 5 years and also worked as a heavy truck mechanic . You are looking at $800 for all parts including new carriers and labor should not be over $500 . With a good press and tools it shouldnt take more then about 2.5 hrs for each axle.People make to big a deal out of setting up gears.Its not that hard really. Watched complete idiots learn to do it on the line after a couple hours of training.If you dont have a press you can take the parts to a local machine shop and have them press on the bearings.
JK Re-Gear Package non-rubi

I have actually found in the past month a complete set of 3.73 and 2 sets of 44s with 4.10 out of wrecked Rubicons on my local Craigslist. The Junk yards also have plenty of them around here.

But back the the point. 3.21 in the 2012+ with an auto is a great setup and should not be getting the bad rep some are trying to give it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
What mods are you doing, that a 3.21 gear prohibits? Did you specifically tell your salesman what your intentions were in respect to future mods?

And last, how are you a "victim"?

A little product knowledge beforehand is a great benefit to you and the seller. That way everybody understands what you are looking for, and usually will try and steer you towards what you need. It isn't necessarily the salesman's job to know. (It's nice, it's preferable, but buyer beware!) Most people take the time to educate themselves before making a large purchase. You apparently didn't. No "victim" here. :popcorn:
And it's always so cut and dry huh? I told EVERY salesman I spoke to I would immediately be trashing the stock tires for 35s. At least two of them told me 3.73s were only for towing and I didn't need them. The other 4 didn't mention a thing. As a former TJ owner (sorry) I was happy as a fiddle with the way it drove on 3.21s/the Pentastar. :D I've since spoken to my salesman in a very polite way so he can "steer others towards what they need"- and the entire subject went in one ear and out the other.
I looked for 6 mos. and researched the crap out of my Jeep and lift BEFORE I bought. Let's remember that 3.21s are all over this forum & the web now- but that has not always been the case.
We've modified and re-tired almost every vehicle we've ever owned- this is the first and only instance where a tire change (albeit significant) made such a difference in performance. Including my TJ- though admittedly I can't remember how much I went up in tire size. My 10 year old Ranger went up 3 sizes- you could hardly tell- and the tranny still shifts better than my brand new JK on 34s.
I would not have dreamed that Jeep- arguably one of the most modified brands out there- would put out a gear ratio geared to within an inch of its life. Thank you to the government mandates and the current obsession with MPG.
And again- with an auto and stock tires 3.21s are just fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
IMHO if you plan on large tires and a gear change, do everyone a favor and get the 3.21's. That way Cafe/Govt standards can be met and those that want to stay with 3.73 or 4.10 can.

Its all a numbers game. Upper levels get the better gears. If everyone ordered 4.10's, next year they might offer only 3.55's...

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I think too many first time Wrangler buyers don't their research.

It isn't just gears....it is the ENTIRE vehicle.

I had been on this forum, and a few others for months before I ever sat down with a dealer.
I'm 14 months and 2000 posts in on this forum alone....and I'm just NOW ordering my Wrangler (with 3.73's).

With that said. 3.21's with the new auto tranny are not that bad. You just have to know in advance HOW you are going to use your vehicle. 3.21's are what I was looking for early last year (on purpose)...but I had also did my research and knew what I wanted, why I wanted it, and how I was going to use it. I gave up on 3.21's only AFTER I gave up arguing with Jeep/Chrysler over the reduced tow ratings on JKU's with 3.21's.

Daily commuter, flat area, little towing, stock Wrangler....3.21's will be fine. But if you know you are going to be adding 35's and a couple of hundred pounds of bumper and armor...you SHOULD know that you will need something more than 3.21's. And if you DON'T know that...you probably should not be adding a couple of hundred pounds of wheels and steel in the first place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts