Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been checking out the forum a lot and with all this talk of mods and off roading I'm dying to try it out. The problem is I have no idea where to start.

I just purchased a 2015 JK Willys Wheeler (picking it up 3/14/15) and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on what to get/do first.

Any tips for a first time off-roader are also welcome! Thx!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Drive it, read, research, learn and plan before you do any mods. Most of all have fun! Welcome.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Find a local Jeep Club. Take a few trips with them and see what kind of trail rides you like whether it be mild or wild.
Your stock Jeep is a very capable off road vehicle.
It's possible you could end up content with your Willys just like it is and save a boat load of money for road trips.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would say find a local Jeep club to your area and join up. I am sure there are some around. Once you have joined, take it out to an event with them. Before you start throwing parts at it just to do it, go wheel it stock. You'll be surprised what a stock Jeep can do. Listen to the experienced Jeepers in the group and soak up as much info as you possibly can from them. Once you've done that, then you can move on to adding lifts and tires and armor, ect.

The mod possibilities are as close to endless as I have ever seen in a vehicle. You could spend $10K only to find out that you enjoy doing a different type of off-roading and half of what you spent your money on is unneeded.

I personally enjoy trails and overland trips with long drives to get to where we are going to hit the trails. As such, I am trying to build mine to be as capable on road as it is off road. IE, I need to be comfortable in it for 12 hour drives on the highway and I also need to be able to cross 4 feet of water... It is a balance that takes time to find. If I was into crawling around on rocks, my Jeep would be built completely differently.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My advice would be to take it wheeling first once. Get with a group of people that know what they're doing, make sure they know YOU are new to it, and go enjoy yourself.

If you're on Facebook, look for Chesapeake Jeep Club, they head to Rausch Creek offroad park in Pennsylvania fairly often, and they are excellent at showing newer drivers the ropes.

Tips:
1. Lower your tire pressure - lower pressure gives you better traction, a smoother ride, and less likely to puncture a tire on a rock.
2. Bring water to drink. You might be stuck out in the middle of the woods for a while, getting thirsty sucks.
3. Go with other people. This is important. Thinks happen, stuff breaks, Jeeps get stuck. Nothing is better than having help already with you!
4. Bring a recovery strap (in case one of you gets stuck.)
5. Use your head. Walking home sucks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How exciting! A new Jeep! :)

I started off by wheeling with a friend who had a Jeep before I did, he unknowingly purchased the exact Jeep I had been drooling over for months; I am fortunate to say I really got to test it out for several months before I made my purchase. He taught me a lot about the Jeep and how to wheel before I bought mine and since then I am a proud Jeep owner. I do have to give credit to WF for the tons of information and I have actually done a trail run with some WF members; I learned so much on that run. Like everyone has said, find a local Jeep club. I am now in the process of doing my first mod, a 2.5 lift. Good luck with the new Jeep and keep us posted!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'm going to see if I can find a Jeep club by me...I guess by googling or social media?

And like okstatejk said I need the Jeep to be comfortable on the road as well as off because this is going to be my every day car as well. I was originally pumped for summers with the top down but off roading sounds like a blast!!

I have to say the forum has helped a bunch already and I'm still unsure where to begin, but a Jeep club sounds like the perfect solution.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'm going to see if I can find a Jeep club by me...I guess by googling or social media?

And like okstatejk said I need the Jeep to be comfortable on the road as well as off because this is going to be my every day car as well. I was originally pumped for summers with the top down but off roading sounds like a blast!!

I have to say the forum has helped a bunch already and I'm still unsure where to begin, but a Jeep club sounds like the perfect solution.
Just remember to have fun! If you can't have fun in a Jeep, you're doing life wrong. No matter how crappy the day is, the weight is lifted off my shoulders the second I climb in and crank the radio with the top off.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Once you get comfortable check out the Rausch Creek offroad park 101 classes in Tremont, PA. Rausch is my go to offroad place every month or so, it has something for all skill levels, and its not terribly far from West Chester, NY

·
Registered
162 Posts
I started out wheeling with a friend who had experience. There's nothing like first hand experience and helpful hints. I had friends in a club and have been with the club ever since (about 28 years now). Don't be afraid to ask questions and HAVE FUN!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts