Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2005 LJ that came already lifted by 4 inches and with 31" tires. My issue is that I have pretty intense bump steer and it just feels top-heavy in general. As a first-time owner, I'm still learning tons about lift and steering geometry. What I found was that the PO installed a drop pitman and that all four coils have 1.5" spacers. The transfer case has been dropped and it also seems to have an SYE installed.

My goal is to make it look better, drive better, without losing gas mileage. From my research I found that the best looking and most affordable style for my needs are to have the LJ on 32's on a 2.5" lift accomplished by removing the spacers. How much would I really need to change to accomplish this goal, and will it break the bank to do so?

11084357_10203985165365039_356026948_n.jpg

11117407_10203985165085032_1765889099_n.jpg

11106242_10203985166445066_456153644_n.jpg

11072304_10203985166165059_2086191826_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Based on the limited info you have on this lift, it looks like you won't have any problem with removing the spring spacers. Lowering the spring lift is usually not accompanied by complications, especially if you already have a lowered transfer case and SYE. You may even find that with the LJ, you might get away with losing the transfer case spacers and put it back in its original location, if for no other reason than to maximize your ground clearance.

Looks like one bump stop rubber is missing, but other than that they look stock.

As for your bump steer, it's likely to be mostly a symptom of that drop pitman arm. Dozens of experienced Jeep guys here have recommended that almost no one install a drop arm, but instead replace it with the stocker. At least, if you are using stock track bar mounting locations. Ultimately, your drag link and your track bar should be about parallel. Also looks like you have an aftermarket track bar that's adjustable. That is good, as long as it is adjusted to center the axle in relation to the frame.

The only other thing I would do is do a steering check while watching the steering joints and ball joints for excessive wear or lateral movement. There should be nearly none. Steering check is performed by a friend while you lie down on the ground in front of the stationary Jeep to watch all the parts move around. Hopefully, without being run over.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
BTW, the above assumes it actually IS a 4" lift including the spacers. Which means that removing them, leaves a net 2-1/2" spring lift without the spacers installed. The 2-1/2" net lift should accommodate 32" tires, and your LJ should handle the increased driveline angles with relative ease.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton for the reply, leaving the 2 1/2" lift after the spacers was the plan! Sorry about the limited info, I can run out and take shots/measurements depending on what's needed. Will the SYE still be effective and useful once the TC is returned to its position?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2 inch spacer lift/leveling kit on my LJ with 32s. My lift was 2 inch in the front and 1 1/4 in the rear. You can check mine out to get an idea.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks a ton for the reply, leaving the 2 1/2" lift after the spacers was the plan! Sorry about the limited info, I can run out and take shots/measurements depending on what's needed. Will the SYE still be effective and useful once the TC is returned to its position?
Every Jeep is unique, but most likely it will, assuming it was installed correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts