Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I joined a Wrangler off-roading club and this sunday is the 101 trail (so new people like me can practice and returning people practice before the real outings).

They have setup huge pile of rocks, off-camber rails, mud pits, etc...

Since it will be my first time going off-road (did some dirt roads, but nothing big) and that I have a manual tranny (2014 sport), I was wondering how exactly I should climb obstacles.

For some obstacles (like big rocks or trunk), I will probably have to climb real slow and then go down real slow to prevent hitting anything (it will probably cause 0 damage, but if I can prevent it...). I was wondering if the clutch is tough enough to simply slip the clutch and go real slow while playing with the brakes to control speed or if there is another technique I should try.

There will be "veteran" people there that will help me, but I would like to practice a little before hand.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Turn on your hill start assist. It can be helpful.

(I've only been a few times though so I don't have much input beyond that)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you go mudding pic a gear for that specific mud hole and saty with it, try not to shift gears while going through deep mud and or water.

If the hole is deep enough and you push in the clutch gritty water/mud can get up in between the clutch plate and fly wheel. That grit can easily prematurely wear out your clutch disk.

It's not difficult at all to pic a gear and go, you get the hang of it very quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts