Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are getting hit with a winter storm in PA. first test tonight on the way home from work. 20F out. lake effect snow. 25 mile trip home. hi way was covered with about 3" of snow/ice. 4wd. did nothing over 50-55. impressive! never slipped once. felt sure footed. i was concerened with the BFG'S but they handled it without issue. and.....something to be said for the heated seats. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice. I haven't had the chance for snow yet. The heated seats are quite nice. First time for those too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Where in pa are you at ? Here in nepa there was that light snow and it melted last nite and all froze over this morning with a nice snow topped coating .. mm mm disaster lol

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
nice! We didn't see anything thing just South of Baltimore. Leaving tomorrow morning to crawl around the mtns of WV. They got about 10 inches in the hills and I am excited! It's gonna melt by the weekend so then I'll try the mud tires. Then maybe a nice rain will clean it all up on the 4 hour drive home. cheers!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey, quick question.

Can you switch from 2wd to 4wd on the fly? I read somewhere you can up to 29mph or something, I don't want to test this unless I know for sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've done it at a 20 mph roll a few times and no issue and was told its better to be on the roll then sitting still to pull the fun lever ;)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hey, quick question.

Can you switch from 2wd to 4wd on the fly? I read somewhere you can up to 29mph or something, I don't want to test this unless I know for sure.

Thanks.
Only into 4wd hi

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've done it at a 20 mph roll a few times and no issue and was told its better to be on the roll then sitting still to pull the fun lever ;)
Only into 4wd hi
Ok

Reason for my question is were expecting some snow later, and I need to climb a mtn on the highway (about 7k feet alt)

Still on stock tires until Feb and wanted to know how slow I should be going to pull the fun lever in case It gets hit harder up there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2wd to 4wd/hi can be done at speeds up to 50mph. in the manual.

my biggest concern was the stock BFG MUD TERRIAN'S, but they performed great.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Had our first major snow of the season here in sw Mi. I too was concerned about my stock tires, Wrangler SRA. Not concerned any more, they did surprisingly well!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the mud terrian ta/km that comes stock is a different tread from off the rack ta/kms. but the stocks are rated very well in all areas...

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM

not to mention, the remote start is great when its 12 out!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Damn send some of that snow this way. It's been warm and sunny. Sucks!

When it does snow a foot or more here I drop my tire pressure down to 25 lbs.
When the roads get iced over or snow gets really bad I put chains on the front tires only.

May seem odd but works suprisingly well on the little JK. I can steer, stop and climb just about anything.
Can't drive very fast but most people can't drive at all when it's that bad so it's fun.
Nothing quite like a little mid week urban wheeling to put a smile on your face.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I miss wheeling in the snow in Ct, but my 65 Valiant wagon with LSD did pretty good, until the trunk door rusted off and then things got cold... alas no snow in this part of AZ. I really loved that Valiant, rarly see one now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts