Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New here and made a switch to from a Cherokee to a 2014 JK Unlimited Sport. Straight from the dealer and everything is stock(17" wheels and tires).

I drive this 60-70 miles a day to work and back and want to eventually get dirty on the weekends.

I've read a lot and i'm still confused on a lot of things and have questions:
*I want to get black wheels and bigger A/T tires but not sure if it's best to buy online or go to a local dealer(if i buy a combo online what would i need to do besides just install them when they come in?)
*Does anyone have any suggestions on what tire/wheel combo would be best at a decent price?
*I would like to raise the jeep a bit but don't know what the better option is, spacer vs lift. Is there a big difference in the ride with either of the options?
*Any other suggestions for upgrades or advice for a first time JK owner?

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Welcome! Step One: take it out and get it dirty on the trail before you start throwing money at it - the Jeep will tell you what you need.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with ^that^. No sense in putting money into it if you won't be using it. You'd be very surprised at what a stock jeep can do. I know I was.

This was done on stock 17" rims and pretty worn Goodyear SR-A's.

That said, start saving. Lift, tire change, and re-gear are normally a package deal. If you lift, the tires look way too small, if you get new tires you generally need a re-gear. New tires could mean new rims, or new tpms sensors, and it definitely means changing the tune for that tire size. It's all a big pile of money haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's def an expensive hobby to own a jeep. How much were you looking to spend on tires/wheels? I have a 2015 and rather than throw a huge lift on it, I just went with a teraflex leveling kit

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree with others. Take it offroad first.

If you want AT tires then it is purely a preference call as to where you buy them. Online is probably cheaper, but if there is a problem then returning them can be a pain. As for what tires, that has been beaten to death here. Search for "tires" and you will see.

I recommend doing a lot of research before changing your suspension. Take the jeep ofroad a few times and you might find that you don't even need it. The JK platform has many, many, aftermarket suspensions available. Many of them are taller then the factory suspension, but actually preform worse off-road despite being taller. Some of the "traditional" suspension lift companies that years ago made good stuff have switched and are now making garbage. Be vary careful to not mess up your rig...

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I should add, that those pics were done with a 2" teraflex budget boost, but there was a stock Sahara that did the same route.

There's a teraflex lift video around here somewhere explaining the different lifts in more depth. It's a good video and I'd suggest a quick look.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I should add, that those pics were done with a 2" teraflex budget boost, but there was a stock Sahara that did the same route.

There's a teraflex lift video around here somewhere explaining the different lifts in more depth. It's a good video and I'd suggest a quick look.
That video should be in the link I posted. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate your guys input. I'm a newbie to vehicle part upgrades as i've always just kept stock parts on past vehicles.
Let me back up by saying, I really want better looking tires that will compliment black wheels. I prefer this for the looks of the jeep.
Also, i wouldn't mind it sitting a little higher but someone on here told me that my MOPAR lifetime warranty would be voided if I modified the lift without a MOPAR certified installer installing their parts. I don't know the validity of the statement because I haven't looked through my warranty.
The last thing i've been looking at is buying a new bumper to replace the plastic one because i'm prone to running into things and bumping stuff.

·
Registered
151 Posts
First off, I'd say that if you plan to continue using the JK as a daily-driver and commuting 60-70 miles per day, you are not going to like what going to bigger, more knarly tires will do to your gas mileage.

I'm with you on the bumpers. The only mods I've done to my '13 JKUR are Ace rock sliders, and new bumpers. When the OEM tires wear out I'll probably replace them with some of the new BFG AT/KO2s.

I don't do real hard-core off-roading, logging roads, fire roads, hunting/camping, backwoods sightseeing, that sort of thing, and the basically stock JK is more-than-adequate for those purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts