Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to Wranglers here . . . Relocated a few years ago from congested city traffic to slower pace city where we can get out and enjoy the outdoors a bit more. Contemplating a Wrangler as a third car. Bikini top looks to be a blast for the summer. It can sit in the garage when the weather doesn’t cooperate. As this could be a fling would prefer to stay under $15k. Will likely drive less than 5k miles annually. I think I would prefer an inline-6 cylinder (partly because it may be our last chance to own one). I am thinking something of the TJ generation. Two door is fine since my wife and I are almost empty nesters and my GSP will jump into any vehicle to avoid being left @ home! Any recommendations for a newbie? Thank you! - Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Wec032,

RUST is the greatest killer of Wranglers.
Not knowing your level of automotive experience, I suggest taking any proposed purchase to a quality 4X4 shop and pay for a pre-purchase examination. Yhey should know what to look for and where to look. I'd expect tp pay in the $100.00-$300.00 range for such a service. A TJ is what I would recommend for you. Good choice.

Start now to shop. Look at a lot of Jeeps. The best ones to buy will be unmolested. Don't be shy about walking away from any iffy deal.

You may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
If go TJ no rust on frame minimal of any mods and 4.0

Tranny as you prefer

Most trouble free years 97-99 and 2003-2004

Also consider 91-95 YJ 4.0

If removable top is not critical consider 4.0 XJ best years 91-99

For both XJ and TJ beware crack prone head 2000-2001 and also I would avoid headaches of 05-06 TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Digger has laid it out well. What ever you seriously look at, the outside is your least concern. Look under the the Jeep at the frame. If it is light surface rust, that can be handled. Heavy rust, especially flaking rust is a serious issue. At that point, you get up and go look at other Jeeps.

BTW - Jeeps don't like being called a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops . . Didn’t mean to offend.

Thanks for all the great advice Friends. I seriously appreciate it. So the search begins . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Welcome Aboard! Take your time and have fun, the right Jeep will find you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts