Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JKU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some grief with my jeep.... The other day, a few hours after some light to medium rain, I was on my way back home from my local audio shop when I turned onto an entrance ramp and I almost immediately started to fish-tail really badly, almost to the the point of going into a complete 180- spin and smashing into the concrete barrier. I managed to pull out of it and keep on driving, but holy crap :confused: Should my jeep really be doing something like this? It's happened before where I spun out making a turn, in the same conditions, but ended up on the grass of a restaurant right by the turn. I know jeeps aren't really heavy, but I've never had a problem with fish-tailing in any other car, even my dad's highlander with nearly bald tires :confused:
Are my tires the ones to blame? I'm running 30x9.5 Wrangler GSA's, and I'm heavily considering on getting a new set of feet for my jeep:crash:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I have the same tires too. I just put new shocks and spring all the way around too. It seemed as if mine was "squatting" hard to the passenger side rear every time I made a left turn. I rarely have a problem on right hand turns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could be a couple different things. Jeeps are light and have a short wheel base so they will spin easier than other cars. Could also be that you have gassed it a little to hard for whatever surfice u were on like if it was concrete or recently reserficed asfault. I drive a Cherokee with almost new tires but if I drive even semi aggressive in rain the rear end will slide or spin out. So I hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
642 Posts
IMO, the GSA tires are junk. Not that they are the source of your problem but I had terrible wear issues with them.
My Jeep did the same thing several times (not with the GSA's)
Just figured it was the road surface conditions, as it isn't a normal occurance on the same patch of road 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might need a little more information. What's the condition of your tires? New? Bald? Was the road wet?

I can't say I've ever had any of my Jeeps "spin out", and I've used all sorts of tires on each of them. When you're making turns, what gear are you in? If you go in too low, and accelerate hard coming out, you're going to get "loose" in the rear end of the vehicle. I'm not sure what your Jeep's gearing is. On mine, I can make a slow corner in 3rd gear and come out without the engine lagging. I don't even use 1st gear on my Jeep, unless I'm on a really steep hill. I always take off in 2nd. But you might be geared differently than mine.

If you're spinning out........that tells me you either have tires that won't grip, or you're gettin' too hard on the gas.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
If you're spinning out........that tells me you either have tires that won't grip, or you're gettin' too hard on the gas.
Exactly this! :) I would bet it's your technique...... Since you've never had that problem driving DAD's vehicle. You need to remember that different vehicles react differently in similar situations (wheel base, weight distribution... etc.) Slow down, especially in less than perfect conditions. Leave a couple of minutes earlier and actually get to your destination..... My son has similar difficulties, apparently the leaving 3 minutes earlier part is very hard to grasp sometimes... :)

419 Posts
I've had the same thing happen.... But, I know my problems were the road being semi wet, almost bald tires, and accelerating too fast out of a right hand turn... stack all that together and you see me fishtailing across a 3 lane street into the median... Well, since then, I got new tires and don't drive so reckless in the wet conditions :)

Yeah, Jeeps are gunna fishtail easier because of the weight and wheelbase, but there's driver technique that can counteract the problem. Just keep it in the back of your mind when you are driving in certain conditions. taking this or that turn a little slower won't hurt ya

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Slowing down and easing into the throttle will save you some grief. Good luck.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I agree; the GSA's are junk and should be replaced with something more suitable for street use. GSA's aren't even suitable for dry surfaces. I would suggest less agressive driving behavior as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yup they will spin out easily but I haven't experienced it on anything but slick icy/packed slush roadway...dry or wet has been fine. My Jeep st5ill has the stock tires which pretty much suck, but not for long...definitely going to get new shoes for winter!
BTW what is a GSA?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've just gotten into the habit of driving "moderately" most all of the time onroad, so I don't need to change my style when conditions are bad. This helps in all things, not just spinning out such as less tire/suspension wear, better fuel mileage, better defensive driving ability.. etc

·
Registered
184 Posts
Exactly this! :) I would bet it's your technique...... Since you've never had that problem driving DAD's vehicle. You need to remember that different vehicles react differently in similar situations (wheel base, weight distribution... etc.) Slow down, especially in less than perfect conditions. Leave a couple of minutes earlier and actually get to your destination..... My son has similar difficulties, apparently the leaving 3 minutes earlier part is very hard to grasp sometimes... :)
Agreed. I nearly spun in wet conditions after I first bought my TJ. After that I get on the gas very lightly when I take off. Even then, if I'm on a hill in rain I'll spin the tires. Just learn to drive to the conditions and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
:wavey: I have a 2010 JKU with 6000 miles on it. Put it sideways on a cloverleaf this summer, but recovered. I'm used to driving a Dodge Magnum R/T with a Hemi that I traded in for my Wrangler. All my driving life I have been able to take curves much faster than what they post for the old people (I'm 61) With this vehicle I'm learning to drive like a little old lady in the rain. That makes my wife happier.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I have over 70% tire left and fish tale when the pavement gets a little wet ... I have been told just put it in 4wd and that will fix the problem ... I say, maybe a little lighter on the skinny peddle should help as well. :)

·
Custom JEEP Decals
1,483 Posts
Yup they will spin out easily but I haven't experienced it on anything but slick icy/packed slush roadway...dry or wet has been fine. My Jeep st5ill has the stock tires which pretty much suck, but not for long...definitely going to get new shoes for winter!
BTW what is a GSA?
Goodyear Wrangler GSA's are tires.

Wrangler GS-A | Goodyear Tires

And ive had very good luck with GSA's, lasting forever and no loss of traction issues (granted it was 95% onroad conditions.)

·
Registered
2016 JKU
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've only put about 4000 miles on my tires. They're good for on road, and I've only had these problems when it rains. When I started to fish tail, I had just come from a stop, drove about 100 ft, had it in second, rounded the turn, then bam. The roads weren't that wet, it only rained a bit a few hours before.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Why does everyone automatically assume that you need to slow down? Mine does it too but, ONLY on a left turn. My tire are NEW. I have used the same tires on other vehicles with no problems at all. Hell, mine is an lj with longer wheelbase and it still does it. My last "fun"vehicle was an S-10 with a 383 stroker and full spooled rear. Never had this problem in the rain with that one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Why does everyone automatically assume that you need to slow down? Mine does it too but, ONLY on a left turn. My tire are NEW. I have used the same tires on other vehicles with no problems at all. Hell, mine is an lj with longer wheelbase and it still does it. My last "fun"vehicle was an S-10 with a 383 stroker and full spooled rear. Never had this problem in the rain with that one.

I assume that you need to slow down, because in over a million miles of commercial driving, I never lost control, spun out, or hit another vehicle because I was going too slow. Your mileage may vary :wavey:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, I put my time in with the commercial driving too. Never had problems with that either. Now I fix them for the schmucks that dont know how to drive them or maintain them . Have driven everything from 18 wheelers down to motorcycles. I know how to drive. No accidents on my record or any other moving violations for that matter. Jeeps DO tend to slide around a little easier than some other vehicles. I wont immediately assume that a slide was caused by the skinny pedal. Too many factors involved. Type of tires,inflation,suspension problems, too much throttle, oily spot on the road, oversteer. You cant just automatically assume speeding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts