Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a leak in my 89 that leaves me with puddles in the floorboard every time it rains. I've deduced it to the Cowl seal. Every day we get a good rain here in NC, I see watermarks running down the speakers. I'm ordering a new cowl seal, and Know I have to fold the windshield down for it.

Are there any tips or tricks I should know for my first-time doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, use plenty of penetrating oil on the top and bottom retaining plates for the windshield. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of torx bit ratchet heads. Tap them into each bold to ensure they are completely seated, then use a breaker bar to break the bolts loose (again, after waiting for the penetrating oil to do its job). Tapping the bolts with the Torx ratchet head will also help to "wake up" the bolts. If you try to break them loos with a Torx screwdriver (even the right size) you will likely find they will slip and strip.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I prefer Seafoam DeepCreep for a lube. Smells like butter and works like butter. Spray the hinges and any torx bits you need to remove at least a day in advance. Get good quality torx bits too. The bargain bin ones will not stand up to a stubborn torx bolt.

Do not try and force the windshield down in one move.The hinges will be very stiff and may not want to move at all, so be careful not to bend the hinges. Let the penetrating lube do it's job. Work the windshield down until there is too much resistance, spray the hinges again with lube (let it soak), then raise the windshield back upright. Spray the hinges with lube again, let it soak, lower the windshield down again (try to go too at least the point you did previously, but don't force it too much past if there is a lot of resistance), spray the hinges again, raise it back upright. Repeat to get the windshield progressively lower until it is fully lowered. Tapping the hinge pins lightly while move the windshield may also help in freeing up the hinge.

Take your time and don't rush, let the penetrating lube do it's thing. Rush it and you'll likely need a new set of hinges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts