Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 TJ Wrangler 2.5, a few months back my tranny started acting up, barely got it home. Its been in the garage ever since. It was making a clanking noise in all gears except 5th if I remember right. The owner of Border Parts in San Diego told me it had to do with the second shaft (it been 6 months, I'm trying to remember what he called it), anyway, I recently bought a tranny from a 95 2.5 YJ, minus the bell housing and transfer case. The idea was to just swap those over to the newer trans and go. Well I noticed that the "Front bearing retainers" are made a little different. The newer one had what looks like a shroud? protruding out over the main input shaft, where on mine the retainer doesn't have that.

Here is a link to a site that has both of the parts listed to you can see what I'm talking about, scroll down to #39, it shows both types.

YJ Wrangler AX15 Transmission

Ok, everything else looks exactly the same. Even those retainers have the same bolt patterns. So it looks like I can swap the retainers and be fine, but I'm thinking there was a reason Jeep added the new retainer. I'm betting that the protrusion (what ever its called) will require a new clutch assembly to fit. Right? Would it be worth the clutch assembly purchase? (Things ARE a little tight right now). Or should I just swap the retainers? Is that easy enough? Should I replace the seal if I do that? I don't know if I can find something that I can tap that into place with.

Any insight with this would be tremendously appreciated, I have to get my Jeep on the road in the next few days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sure looks like I won't need a new clutch kit or anything, Looks like what I have will accommodate the newer retainer. A call to my auto parts store shows that there are 2 different part #s for clutch kits but we can't see what the difference is unless its the throw out bearing. So I'll need the newer slave cylinder, but looks like a straight swap from there. Am I right? Anyone know?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts