Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. So I discovered antifreeze and water in my oil the other morning and was told by several people that it's a blown head gasket, along with the valve cover gasket leaking a fair amount oil on the motor. I work for a local scrap/recycling yard and have access to some auto parts for dirt cheap (got a ford 8.8 w/ disc brakes for a whopping $20) we have sitting in the corner of the yard is a 95 grand cherokee limited, it has front end damage but the motor is unscratched and runs strong. Its a 318 v8 with auto trans (a 46RH I believe). So should I put more money into the 258 with a Ba/10 tranny or upgrade to the 318? I plan on doing that axle swap in the spring so that's when I'm figuring on doing the motor swap if I do. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
The 318 V8s length that may be an issue with the fan and radiator clearance. I believe its the same lenght as the AMC V8 that I run so you will probably need a radiator and electric fan setup that will fit in there.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you've got the resources, do it. You'll need to scrap that Ba/10 though. I say light it on fire and bury it.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Yeah that ba10 is garbage. Swap the ax15 if you keep the 4.2. Maybe swap a 4.0 head with fuel injection into it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the ba10 is going for sure, I'm thinking of replacing it with with the ford np435. I'm gonna tear into the 258 next week and see what the damage is.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
The 318 is a good little v8. I have had 3 of them. The main thing I would worry about putting it in the YJ would be heat in the smaller engine bay area. Though that is the same for any v8. Also what t-case do you plan to use? All grand v8, zj's used the 249 full time case. You can run a 231 or 242 with it, but you may need to get the input from the 249 and swap it over to the new case from all I seen done.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
try this one.:punk:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I'm a die hard Mopar fan, and I've had a few 318's and they have all been good engines, but doing some research for an engine swap myself it seems if your gonna upgrade to a V8 then your best options are gonna be a GM350 or Ford Windsor (the 302 or 351) They seem to be the easiest swaps and with plenty of easily accessible parts. But if hard work and part accessibility is no matter to you then by all mean go for the 318. Swap out the heads and you got a 360 ;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
the buick 231 v6 is a nice motor choice. i used it in my 53 cj3b and with the rv cam and header exhaust system the power delivery is good all around and it fits perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts