Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping some diehard Jeep enthusiasts can offer some words of wisdom. Currently have '04 Rubicon. Have had rough idle problems since June 2011. Used Lucas and replaced plugs, #4 injector and rail. No improvement. Engine light was sometimes on (code P0304) and sometimes not on. Engine light started flashing last week and so I brought her to the dealer. Dealer tells me #4 injector compression is 40%.....NOT GOOD! Now telling me they need to pull the head and see where to go from there.....o-rings, burnt valve, bent valve, or possibly cam issues. Cost to pull head and check o-rings $783......if we get into the valves, etc could be up around $2500. At this point they're just guessing. I'm looking at 2012 4 door Wrangler Unlimited Sport S......new engines sound better than what I've got in the Rubi......gears in this '12 are 3.73. My Rubi has always been a little slow even on a short incline and I always have to shut off the overdrive.....never really had the power I was hoping for in a Rubicon. Dealer is offering me $10,000. for my "04 on trade. Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place here. Don't know whether to take a gamble on the Rubi and hope the fix is on the low end or go for the '12. Also, the fix on the Rubi would come with 12 months 12,000 mile warranty but now wondering if this engine is just a problem waiting to happen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys!

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Do you want to pay $25k over the next 5 years for a brand new vehicle or $2500 once for one you already have? If you need an excuse to buy a new Jeep, HERE IT IS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
69,000 miles on the '04 I like the vehicle but am concerned because I don't believe I should be having these kinds of issues with only 69,000 miles on it. Am afraid it's going to turn into a money pit. Must admit I'm not much of a gambler and fixing it feels like a gamble. On the other hand I don't want to run scared and spend 25K on a new vehicle if I don't need to.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are in the position to trade do so. At least you will have a jeep with a warranty. Based on your concerns, going new would go along way to your feeling better about dependability. See if you can talk them into some kind of free maintenance for the first year, at least something to make you feel like you won on the trade in.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If the Rubi is paid off then keep it and invest in it as it will be a lot cheaper in the long run when you take into consideration a monthly payment and a higher insurance rate. That same money could go to the repairs or even an engine swap from a donor vehicle.

If you still owe on the Rubi then trade it off and press on with pride!

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
879 Posts
you could get it fixed and and use the year warranty to start looking for something used, a little newer but a lot cheaper

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hell this is a no brainer to me!! Keep the Rubi and fix it, Your payments will be close to 400 a month, could you imagine what you could do to the Rubicon for 400 a month!!!! A new engine is around 2500 so just get a brand new engine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke with local dealer......reman engine is $3280 with 3/36 warranty and labor would be $960. and about another $75 for fluids.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Maybe I missed something here, but why in the heck would you be pricing this work out at a dealership? That's just asking to get screwed. Totally foolish.

If you want to keep the Jeep, find a shop that knows Jeeps and builds them for recreation and for daily driving, and let them do the work. If not, then trade it in and LEASE something since it seems that might be more your speed.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
computeruser said:
Maybe I missed something here, but why in the heck would you be pricing this work out at a dealership? That's just asking to get screwed. Totally foolish.

If you want to keep the Jeep, find a shop that knows Jeeps and builds them for recreation and for daily driving, and let them do the work. If not, then trade it in and LEASE something since it seems that might be more your speed.
Agreed. I know of a shop that will turn your 4.0L into a 4.7L stroker for around that price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OUCH!....computeruser! More my speed.........that hurts. In my defense......the '04 Rubi is my newest and until recently my most dependable daily driver. I don't want a "grocery getter" and she doesn't feel like a grocery getter which is one of the reasons I hate letting her go. On the other hand I need one good solid reliable daily ride. I have a '51 Willys 3A, '55 3B, '78 CJ5, '66 Chevy K20, '67 Chevelle, '72 Chevelle SS, '87 Chevy 3/4 ton flatbed, and a '01 3/4 ton Silverado HD. These are my toys and I love them but I still need that daily ride. The Rubi ended up at the dealer because I believed it was still under warranty....sadly it was 27 days out of warranty (although still under on the mileage) when I brought it to the dealer. Also I know a few local Jeep enthusiasts but I wouldn't say I or they know of anyone locally who would be qualified to do the work. Most of the guys I know are much more comfortable with pre-computer Jeeps.

To Invert Chaos.....where is the shop you mentioned?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
chika989 said:
To Invert Chaos.....where is the shop you mentioned?
Quite a ways from your unfortunately :( its located in northern VA. They really do great work though. I'd bet that there is an automotive machine shop near you that would be comfortable working on the I-6

·
Registered
490 Posts
Doesn't quadratec have one for cheaper?? Hell i have a guy here that would rebuild it and install it for 1500 and he is awesome at it. He drag reaces all the time and does all the work I don't want to do and anyone else I know that has problems also. Even my Mom's Toyota Avalon goes there for anything.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Speaking from the other side---I would find a shop--a LOCAL non dealer type shop--and have a swap done if NEEDED.... Not sure one is needed. The I6 is a pretty resilient motor. Part of the reason the dealer is offering 10K on trade for an 8 year old vehicle. Yeah miles are good but they PLAN to make money on the '12 you are buying and your '04!!!!

Yes you may be without the Jeep for a week while the motor is swapped if that is what it needs--but I would bet you start shopping the work around you can find a LOT better deal. And still have a good DD that won't have that much of a payment.

BTW---I have an '04 Sport--and just purchased a '12 Sport.

The TJ has 150K on the clock and no motor repairs needed so far----just basics 02 sensor plugs etc--oh and one water pump.

The JK is "hers" and "Go To Church Jeep"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Johnboy11...where is your guy located?

JP2611......how are you liking the '12 Sport? What gears are in that?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The JK has the 3.21's--and it will be a long time before it sees mud--like the TJ.

The power is great in the JK, and the "on board MPG computer" stays around 18-20. Hand calculated never worse than 18 generally 20 mpg.

It is sitting on 32's from the factory and has a soft top.

2 vehicles same name WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts