Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after over a year of running this tire combo a Pa state trooper decides to take my dangerous JK off the road (rolls eyes).
I have goodyear MTR's 285/75/16 with Level 8 ZX wheels 8.5 wide with 4.5 inch backspacing. Currently the tires stick out past my fenders almost one inch.

I have to return to the police station within 15 days with the problem fixed (state trooper says new tires)

I have an easy fix as I still have my factory rubicon wheels and tires and plan to make the switch (temporary)

I was planning on going with 35" tires this summer but am now questioning everything... I am currently running a teraflex leveling kit 2 inches in front and one inch in back. I was planning on getting a "real lift" this summer. What are my options to get my tires within my fenders? Bigger flairs (not a lot of good options out there) Wheels with more backspacing? but then I'll potentially rub?

Or just move to a different state ;) got to love living in a regulation nation. Thank in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm so glad that pa's crime is in such good shape that a pa trooper has time to worry about your tires sticking out of your wheel well by an inch, unreal. Good luck with your trooper with a hard on.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Bushwacker makes wide flares.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Someone just posted that they got a ticket for no doors in PA , me I would just always keep the stock wheels and switch them if I got another one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so glad that pa's crime is in such good shape that a pa trooper has time to worry about your tires sticking out of your wheel well by an inch, unreal. Good luck with your trooper with a hard on.
I could understand if I ran a red light while speeding drunk ;) and he wanted to throw the book at me... but...I was driving on a 4 lane undivided highway he was coming the opposite direction slammed on his breaks ... car behind him almost rear-ended him to pull a u-turn and pull me over just for my tires. I always treat law enforcement with respect, but I was definitely a bit heated with this guy! I thanked him for getting such a dangerous vehicle off the road.

World smallest penis or jeep envy? Perhaps a bit of both

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
WOW, must be a hummer or FJ owner and is showing Jeep envy. Like someone said, not enough real crime fighting for them to do. Probably 5 people rolled by ya talking on cell phones too.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
So is there a fine if you don't fix them? I'm curious. I've driven my Jeep in PA often and so far I have not been bothered. Having NJ plates I think I would be a target since this appears to be one of those revenue generating scams.

·
Registered
830 Posts
So is there a fine if you don't fix them? I'm curious. I've driven my Jeep in PA often and so far I have not been bothered. Having NJ plates I think I would be a target since this appears to be one of those revenue generating scams.
Pretty sure they can't ticket you for violating PA equipment laws when your vehicle is registered in another state.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Someone just posted that they got a ticket for no doors in PA , me I would just always keep the stock wheels and switch them if I got another one
I'm still stuck on this "ticket for no doors" how is this possible

I almost get the ticket (at best s/b warning) for tires sticking beyond body but as I am to understand that's an inspection failure only
Good luck to our PA brothers and sisters I
Living there

:atomic:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm still stuck on this "ticket for no doors" how is this possible

I almost get the ticket (at best s/b warning) for tires sticking beyond body but as I am to understand that's an inspection failure only
Good luck to our PA brothers and sisters I
Living there

:atomic:
I wonder if the ticket was actually for no mirrors?

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Pretty sure they can't ticket you for violating PA equipment laws when your vehicle is registered in another state.
Yes they can. Doesn't matter what state you live in, if you travel to another state you are required to abide by that states traffic laws.
Sounds like the trooper was having a bad day.
Do a little research into the statute he used. It may have been interpreted wrong by the trooper. Happens more than you think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im suprised no one asked how much is the ticket? Sometimes you gotta pay to play.
No fine. Just fix it. I am tempted to make a quick switch and hope for the best. I don't like the bushwacker pocket style flares. I really wanted to go flat fenders but don't think thats the best idea now. maybe ill just stick some pool noodles on the outside of the fenders to pass ;)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
No fine. Just fix it. I am tempted to make a quick switch and hope for the best. I don't like the bushwacker pocket style flares. I really wanted to go flat fenders but don't think thats the best idea now. maybe ill just stick some pool noodles on the outside of the fenders to pass ;)
If ya really wanna piss them off make them pink LOL

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would certainly investigate the statute first. If there is no law forbidding it (specifically addressing what you were ticketed for), then it is legal, period.

There is a large number of LEOs who do not have a clue of the law, and they make it up as they go along, sometimes knowingly misrepresenting the law just to write a citation. Until people stand up and fight it, they will continue to do so.

Being a law abiding citizen who carries a firearm, I have made it my duty to be fully educated on the current federal/state (AL) firearms laws. I am constantly hearing of LEOs abusing their authority while having no knowledge of the current laws. It is mind blowing how uneducated some of them are. And if the people are not aware of the laws, it just compounds the problem.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.