Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repaired my old Multifunction switch w/ foglight issue - now headlights won't work

This is on my 2004 Rubicon.

So, I started having that problem with the fog lights not turning off. So, I decided to replace my old Multifunction switch with the duralast one from Autozone. The replacement switch fixed the foglight issue, but my blinker relay fit pretty loose onto the new MF switch and would intermittently make the blinkers not function. I bought a new relay seeing if that would solve things, but it did not.

So, I found the tutorial that shows you how to fix your old MF switch by repairing the lever that turns on/off the fog lights. I did that tonight. Instead of jb weld, I cut down to size the end of the plastic tube from an ink pen and affixed it to the little lever that actuates the fogs. When I put it all back together, my fogs were fixed, my blinkers work, but now my headlights won't turn on. Wtf?

When I pull the lever for high beams, those work, but when I depress the lever high beams go back to being off. And no lowbeam or any headlights work when I turn them on.

Could I have messed something up when I put the took apart the MF switch to fix the lever and put it back together? Could I have blown a fuse? as I did have the switch for the headlights on when I plugged the connecters back into the back of the MF switch.

Also, when I was plugging back in my driver side wiring connector back into the MF switch I noticed a bit of melting (but not warping) of the plastic on the connector and a small corner of the connector harness on the bottom left side (looking at the connector) a little tiny piece of the plastic has broken off. This was present when I tried the duralast replacement MF and all headlights worked okay then.

Do you think an oem Mopar MF switch is the way to go? Not sure where to go from here. Unfortunately, I have no electrical experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I needed a switch for my jeep and called Gloria at Ray's Wranglers. she sent me a recycled switch for less than half the cost of the crap you get at the big box auto parts stores. OEM unit and it worked great. Ray sells on ebay a lot, so you may want to look there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses. I have a feeling that I didn't put things together right causing the headlights to not function. Earlier today I was informed that my fog lights were back on again. So, it looks like I didn't fix that problem either.

I ordered an oem mopar replacement from Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. We shall see if this resolves things. Until then, my jeep is parked after dark. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oem mopar multifunction switch installed and now everything works again as it should. Something I learned, when it comes to a replacement MF switch, spend the extra dough and get the mopar part. Those duralast switches from Autozone feel like cheap plastic Chinese scrap compared to the mopar part and I got a dud duralast one on my first try. What a waste of time that AZ part was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts