Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to finally try to fix my jeep from pulling to the right while driving.
My thrust angle is +.23, and it’s the only thing I can blame as the cause of the pull at this point.

So for anyone that has tried to fix this before, I think I know what to do but I just want to run it by anyone who has had the experience.

Loosen 8 bolts on the rear control arms, upper and lower.
Ratchet strap on the on the passenger side from the front axle to the rear axle.
Ratchet it until the distance between the two axles is the same on both sides.
Tighten all the bolts down on the control arms.

And I can do all of this with the wheels on the ground, correct?

I just want to make sure I have the process down before I get into it.

·
Super Moderator
22,034 Posts
0.23 is in spec so not sure if that would be the issue but yes I would do it on the ground. Ideally you could do it on an alignment rack.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
Are you experiencing radial pull? I corrected my right pull by swapping the Toyos (known to pull right) with Coopers. Now it drives straight again.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have access to an alignment rack, so glad to know it can be done on the ground!
Yea I know it’s in spec, but I’ve heard even though it’s in spec, if it’s not centered it can still cause an issue, so I might as well try to straighten it and see if that fixes the pull.

I have the Goodyear wrangler mtr’s with Kevlar. This is my second set, never had an issue with the first set. Since day one I’ve had this issue. But the lift was done at the same time that the tires went on, so it’s tough to tell. What I do know is that I’ve rotated these tires twice now and the pull has never gone away. Can that still be a radial pull?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I’m about to finally try to fix my jeep from pulling to the right while driving.
My thrust angle is +.23, and it’s the only thing I can blame as the cause of the pull at this point.

So for anyone that has tried to fix this before, I think I know what to do but I just want to run it by anyone who has had the experience.

Loosen 8 bolts on the rear control arms, upper and lower.
Ratchet strap on the on the passenger side from the front axle to the rear axle.
Ratchet it until the distance between the two axles is the same on both sides.
Tighten all the bolts down on the control arms.

And I can do all of this with the wheels on the ground, correct?

I just want to make sure I have the process down before I get into it.
Sorry your plan will not do what you are trying to accomplish. The jeep will just settle back into the same position shortly after you release the straps and move the jeep. You would need to lengthen or shorten a lower control arm. (Assuming both of your axles are in line already. If they are off correct that first or you will be chasing ghosts trying to line up the thrust angle)

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
I don’t have access to an alignment rack, so glad to know it can be done on the ground!
Yea I know it’s in spec, but I’ve heard even though it’s in spec, if it’s not centered it can still cause an issue, so I might as well try to straighten it and see if that fixes the pull.

I have the Goodyear wrangler mtr’s with Kevlar. This is my second set, never had an issue with the first set. Since day one I’ve had this issue. But the lift was done at the same time that the tires went on, so it’s tough to tell. What I do know is that I’ve rotated these tires twice now and the pull has never gone away. Can that still be a radial pull?
Toyo MT and Goodyear MTR are both known for radial tire pull. Wouldn't run either.... But that's just my opinion.

The rear axle swings side to side shortening the wheelbase on whichever side the axle is sticking out on. This causes a thrust angle. Typically an off center axle does not cause a pull.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you running a gas charged steering stabilizer?

·
Registered
970 Posts
1st the stock control arms are non adjustable and as stated the jeep will settle rite back to the original location assuming you could move it at all.
2nd you are already within specs so dont expect any improvement with adjustable CA.
3rd likely suspect is front caster angle and road crown.
4th as mentioned a gas charged stabilizer if used coupled with low caster will cause a pull to one side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts