Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

I've just put a 4' Firestik 4/5 wave CB antenna on my spare tire carrier, and am looking for options to put a 12" x 18" flag on the antenna. Yes, I know about Foreverwave, but not sure if I like those options, PLUS, I would be limited to their specific flags. There are other flags out there that I'd like to use (that aren't available via Foreverwave).

Anyone have any luck/experience with other options?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Here is an example of a flag I use during the 4th of July. You can search nautical flags and find the size and design you want. I attach the flag with zip ties to the antenna.

Attachments

Reactions: brimstone_

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I attach the flag with zip ties to the antenna.

I currently have a custom-made flag attached to my Hi-Lift jack with mini cable locks, but that wouldn't work for the antenna.

Do the wire/zip ties hold well at 40-70mph speeds without damaging the antenna's coating?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Zip Ties will hold. The antenna won't. They are not designed as a flag-staff and will fail with the additional wind loading.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Reactions: Lockdown

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
With the small nautical flags that I use, 18"x12", the Firestik antenna can easily withstand any forces added to it from that flag. I have driven it at highway speeds over the years without any issues. I would not recommend a larger flag attached to the antenna though.

Reactions: Lockdown

·
Registered
80 Posts
My TJ came with a fiberglass staff mounted behind the spare tire bracket. Not sure if it's an old CB antenna or a store bought flag pole but it works great for small flags. I zip tied clips to it I got at Tractor Supply. I usually avoid flying flags at highway speeds because it looks hard on the flags (60 mph wind). When I get where I'm going I clip the flags on. I don't put anything on my Firestik.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Reactions: cfdumon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the small nautical flags that I use, 18"x12", the Firestik antenna can easily withstand any forces added to it from that flag. I have driven it at highway speeds over the years without any issues. I would not recommend a larger flag attached to the antenna though.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and have in hand. I'm probably going to use zip/wire ties; no metal in them...

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Slow speed is fine, run at 60 and have somebody watch how much flexing is taking place. Not the driver please.
I'm with Sparky here. Just the shear vibration from that little flag flapping will cause more radio problems than I want. A separate mast is in order and very simple to implement.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
And people wonder why their CBs never work right...
No issues with my CB transmissions while having the flag mounted on it or without it. I'm only posting my personal experiences with having a small flag attached to my firestik antenna for short durations over several years. My antenna has flexed more from hitting low hanging obstructions than the small flag will ever cause.

My real world experience has shown that mounting a small flag on my firestik antenna did not cause any damage to the antenna nor did it diminish my CB transmissions when compared to running without it. For a temporary flag mount it's fine. If you plan on running a flag long term then find a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just zip tie garden flags to mine (mines most likely not a firestick-no clue honestly, an ex-trucker gave me a stack of theme while ago). I go through a couple flags a year (switch it out the moment it starts to look slightly frayed). In still WAY ahead compared to buying 1 forever wave setup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts