Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some searching, I found how to do a manual bypass switch for my rear locker on my Backcountry. This would allow me to use the rear locker in 2WD or 4HI. Before I do this, I also found where Flashcal is capable of doing an electronic bypass where the rear locker can be used in 4 Hi as well.

When I spoke with them about this, the fellow really wasn't sure what he was talking about. I wasn't sure how it actually worked. I've read when it's engaged you cannot go past 15 mph or it will disconnect. The salesman "thought" that had changed to 20 mph but wasn't sure and then if you slow down it will reconnect.

Further, the Flashcal shows it will only work with a Rubicon. I find this a little hard to believe. If you have a factory rear locker, I can't see them having several different wiring harnesses for different model jeeps.

Has anyone use Flashcal or other programers as a bypass for their lockers?

·
Registered
6,704 Posts

I found it a pain in the ass. You have to plug it in and keep it plugged in while locked, and it still disconnects at stupidly low speeds.

I ditched it and went with switches. I can run the lockers any way I want this way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it a pain in the ass. You have to plug it in and keep it plugged in while locked, and it still disconnects at stupidly low speeds.

I ditched it and went with switches. I can run the lockers any way I want this way.
Thanks for the info. You saved me some money. I'll go with a switch as well.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts

I use the TrailCal and I have run rear locker only, in 2wd, up to 50kph (30mph). That was just a trial in slushy conditions. I wouldn’t run lockers any faster then that normally. I have also run front and rear lockers in 4Hi without them disengaging.
There is also the JScan unit that will let you do the same ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Yes, I was gonna say JScan as well ^^^^
I have mopar crate axles w/lockers in my Sport.
I frequently run with the rear locked in a snow storm on the road without 4wd engaged.
Probably never faster than 40 mph.
Works awesome!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts