Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides getting my speedo calibrated, I want to reprogram my TPMS for a lower set pressure...32ish. I'm pretty sure the Procal can do it, but research says the Flashcal can only turn the TPMS off or on, but not adjust the set pressure as far as I can tell. Am I right?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
The pressure setting on Flashcal, procal, as well as Jscan did not work for me. They all STATED "success" and you even saw it set to a different psi, but the alarm went off above the set pressure anyway.

On the other hand, others claim that it has worked for them.... go figure!?!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now, my TPMS warning light is on. I have the new tires set at 32 lbs and I'd like the warning light to go off. I might set the pressure higher to 37 lbs just to see if the warning light is working properly and goes out. I got new TPMS sensors when I changed wheels and I watched them copy/read my old sensors and duplicate the settings on the new sensors. My warning light isn't flashing, so I'm pretty sure the only issue is the lower pressure in the new tires. I can turn them off, but I'd rather reset the TPMS to accept a new pressure.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have had 4 jk's 3 with EVIC and the procal has worked successfully on all of them for lowering the threshold. I currently run 28psi and no warning lights.

Reactions: Rancho

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Have you tried 22 psi?
Yes I think it is the sequence I had sent you already that was either 22 or 20. currently I have my tires at 28psi and we have had some 0-8F degree days and it sitting out they will be down around 25psi or so and the warning lights don't come on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Right now, my TPMS warning light is on. I have the new tires set at 32 lbs and I'd like the warning light to go off. I might set the pressure higher to 37 lbs just to see if the warning light is working properly and goes out. I got new TPMS sensors when I changed wheels and I watched them copy/read my old sensors and duplicate the settings on the new sensors. My warning light isn't flashing, so I'm pretty sure the only issue is the lower pressure in the new tires. I can turn them off, but I'd rather reset the TPMS to accept a new pressure.
My warning light, which is factory set, comes on at 33psi and goes off at 34psi, which is where I keep my pressure.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
My warning light, which is factory set, comes on at 33psi and goes off at 34psi, which is where I keep my pressure.

Yeah... well it's simple for you because you live in SoCal where temperatures don't vary that much. We can go from +90 in the Summer to -40 in the Winter. That raises hell with tpms systems. Heck... in the Winter we can go from 0 to -40 inside of 12 hours. Get kind of tired of alarms going off in that space of time.

It's one of the reasons tpms isn't law in Canada.... the system is such a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
The flash cal does adjust the tpms psi light settings ...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah... well it's simple for you because you live in SoCal where temperatures don't vary that much. We can go from +90 in the Summer to -40 in the Winter. That raises hell with tpms systems. Heck... in the Winter we can go from 0 to -40 inside of 12 hours. Get kind of tired of alarms going off in that space of time.

It's one of the reasons tpms isn't law in Canada.... the system is such a pain in the ass.
I certainly dont get -40 but we do range from 110°F to the teens. Lol. I did have to add air twice so far as the temps started to drop. Snow last week but 54° this week. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Procal showed up today. It took longer to unbox it than it did to program the Jeep. Super easy. I set the tire size (33") and then my desired air pressure for the TPMS sensor (34/27). I also turned off my one touch lane change signals. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures, but the ease of reprogramming the TPMS makes that a simple task.

Funny thing though...To me, these new tires look huge (285/75R17), but I measured the diameter using a level set across the top of the tire to the ground. 33" exactly. Granted, the Nitto site has them spec'd at 33.86" and settling under the Jeep weight is expected. Still...my eye says they look bigger than that. But the tape measure doesn't lie.

Now to get them on the road with my GPS to see if my speedometer was corrected.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Admittedly I am not a patient person. Plus I have never paid too much attention to the TPMS in several vehicles I have had.

1. Because it never seems to be accurate regardless.
2. I live at altitude and it plays havoc with these systems as others have said.
3. I am so anal that if 3 tires are exactly the same and one is off 1 psi it drives me nuts even though I know it probably isn't off at all. :pullinghair:

Anyway.........I gave it about 1 day after getting my 3.5" AEV kit and 35" Pats on for the TPMS setting to take hold and work after adjusting for tire size and psi. The light kept going off even though there was considerably more pressure in the tires than it thought there was. I promptly used the Procal to cut it off totally and have never missed it once nor will I.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Admittedly I am not a patient person. Plus I have never paid too much attention to the TPMS in several vehicles I have had.

1. Because it never seems to be accurate regardless.
2. I live at altitude and it plays havoc with these systems as others have said.
3. I am so anal that if 3 tires are exactly the same and one is off 1 psi it drives me nuts even though I know it probably isn't off at all. :pullinghair:

Anyway.........I gave it about 1 day after getting my 3.5" AEV kit and 35" Pats on for the TPMS setting to take hold and work after adjusting for tire size and psi. The light kept going off even though there was considerably more pressure in the tires than it thought there was. I promptly used the Procal to cut it off totally and have never missed it once nor will I.
I'm almost with you. My initial drive didn't produce any change. The tires were set at 34 and I drove 20 miles on the highway with the new setting done with the Procal. The TPMS warning light is still on. A couple more on-off cycles and a few more miles of testing. If I can't get it working by tomorrow I'll shut it off permanently.

OTOH... The speedometer is now reading perfectly and matches the GPS.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
The Procal showed up today. It took longer to unbox it than it did to program the Jeep. Super easy. I set the tire size (33") and then my desired air pressure for the TPMS sensor (34/27). I also turned off my one touch lane change signals. I'm still experimenting with tire pressures, but the ease of reprogramming the TPMS makes that a simple task.

Funny thing though...To me, these new tires look huge (285/75R17), but I measured the diameter using a level set across the top of the tire to the ground. 33" exactly. Granted, the Nitto site has them spec'd at 33.86" and settling under the Jeep weight is expected. Still...my eye says they look bigger than that. But the tape measure doesn't lie.

Now to get them on the road with my GPS to see if my speedometer was corrected.
if you want your speedo to be more accurate the inventor of the Procal told me to park on a flat cement surface ie your garage and measure from the center of the hub to the ground and times that number by 2. People will say that is wrong but that came directly from the guy who invented it Jordan Harriton. He is the brother of the Dave Harriton who owns and started AEV. For the record I have run many sets of Toyo (same carcass as Ditto) and Cooper 285/75-17 and 32.5 is the setting that always works for me. Make sure you use a stand alone GPS and not the oem nav system 430N because in mopars wisdom they use the jeeps speedo for that speed which is crazy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used the Superchips F5 to adjust the speedo and other things. Is there any reason to put the jeep back to stock if taking it to the dealer and there is a chance they will try to flash the ECM? My mustang has a custom tune installed and I have a cover over the OBD port saying do not flash so it won't get bricked at the dealer. I also used the Procal on my '15 Power Wagon for the speedo adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I used the Superchips F5 to adjust the speedo and other things. Is there any reason to put the jeep back to stock if taking it to the dealer and there is a chance they will try to flash the ECM? My mustang has a custom tune installed and I have a cover over the OBD port saying do not flash so it won't get bricked at the dealer. I also used the Procal on my '15 Power Wagon for the speedo adjustment.
I can only speak for the AEV procal but on that there is no need to do anything. It does not get far enough into the ecm to cause an issue.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Test the speed and ODO with a separate GPS device as the nav and spedo in the JK is tied together and will always read the same. Don't trust the advertised dia of the tire mfg.

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use a stand alone Garmin GPS. Right now, the speedometer and the GPS are almost exactly matching. It might be +/- 0.5 mph as witnessed by my calibrated mk66 eyeball. It's so close that I won't screw with it any more.

My $350 new TPMS sensors I put on the new wheels aren't working right though. The warning flashes at me as soon as I start it up, but goes steady after I get the wheels rolling. ... but it never goes out. I've used the Procal on it twice with successful horn-beep indications (currently set to 30/24lbs)...but the warning never goes out. The fact that it's not flashing indicates all of the sensors are communicating with Jeep CPU, but having the light still on tells me that one, or more, of the sensors may be giving off an erroneous low pressure reading.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My $350 new TPMS sensors I put on the new wheels aren't working right though.
By no means am I a quitter or defeatist but this is precisely why one of the first things I did with mine after the lift/tires was turn the TPMS off entirely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts