Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my factory seats rip at the embroidery so i swung by the dealership for an appointment. They agreed to replace the seat cover and also said I needed to flash the following software: HVAC, PCM, WCM, TCM. When I take it back to have the work done I've read it's best to restore my Flashcal to factory settings, but won't this cause all kinds of issue with the gears and tires? Like putting it into limp mode or something like that?

Anyone done this and did you have any issues?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
No you need to restore to the factory settings when leaving the vehicle with the dealer. If they flash your vehicle revert to stock tune rendering your tuner useless. This is coming from the dealer where I get my work done. They do not care that I'm calibrated they just don't want to brick my device. It only takes a min to do anyways.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
No you need to restore to the factory settings when leaving the vehicle with the dealer. If they flash your vehicle revert to stock tune rendering your tuner useless. This is coming from the dealer where I get my work done. They do not care that I'm calibrated they just don't want to brick my device. It only takes a min to do anyways.

Wow, thanks did not realize this. So that I understand the scenario more clearly...

if I use the FlashCal for "simple" things, such as tire size or DRLs, (not performance tunes, etc,) and the dealer flashes the Jeep, the FlashCal will be locked out?

I thought I just may lose those settings and would need to reset. And that the folks who set back to stock were doing so to avoid dealer hassle for changing tune settings and having debate for warranty, etc..

TIA

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, thanks did not realize this. So that I understand the scenario more clearly... if I use the FlashCal for "simple" things, such as tire size or DRLs, (not performance tunes, etc,) and the dealer flashes the Jeep, the FlashCal will be locked out? I thought I just may lose those settings and would need to reset. And that the folks who set back to stock were doing so to avoid dealer hassle for changing tune settings and having debate for warranty, etc.. TIA
Best case scenario: When you plug the Flashcal in, it will act as though it's locked to another vehicle and you will not be able to use it in your Jeep. Meaning you will have to pay Superchips however much they charge to unlock it. (It's like $100 or $120 or something).

You will need to revert it back to complete stock no matter if you used it just to change tire PSI or if you changed gears/added a full tune to the vehicle. If it's not reverted back to stock (which makes the Flashcal no longer locked to your vehicle) it will be useless without paying more money.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
If you have changed gearing you could be screwed because you will go in limp mode if you set back to restore factory settings. Here is what I have been told. flash cal can (not always) get far enough into ecm that when factory goes to update ecm it gets faults and can not update so they think the ecm is screwed up end up replacing ecm yada yada. On a Procal however it does not get far enough into the ecm to be detected by the digitech or whatever equipment the dealer uses for the updates. I have had mine updated with no effect on the procal settings.

If you have not changed gearing I would do the restore first to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The dealer is not changing the VIN. Why would the FlashCAL stop working with the vehicle?
They are not just locked to your VIN. They are locked in to the tune and settings you have it set at. You can plug the tuner in to your PC to update it and it will tell you what vehicle it's locked to and it reads what tune and settings it's locked and set to as well.

When you go to the dealer, if they update or flash you computer, it will be back to stock settings. That means when you plug the tuner it, it reads the vin but the tuner says "this vin is locked with this tune and these settings, this does not match what the settings show on the Jeep so this is not the same vehicle it's locked to" and it will give you the same message you would get if you tried to plug it in to a different jeep it's not paired with already.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the reply. I guess going into limp mode isn't a big deal since the dealer shouldn't be driving it outside the parking lot. Should I tell them that I use a tuner to calibrate so they don't think something is wrong? I assume they deal with this all the time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply. I guess going into limp mode isn't a big deal since the dealer shouldn't be driving it outside the parking lot. Should I tell them that I use a tuner to calibrate so they don't think something is wrong? I assume they deal with this all the time.
You can let them know. Most dealers honestly don't care at all. They can only void warranty if they are able to prove the warrantied part broke as a specific cause of the modification so you have nothing to worry about there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts