Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my TJ's been having issues, blew a radiator last week, transmission slipping in and out of gear. :banghead:
Biggest problem is this: While waiting for the radiator to be shipped, I limped it on a top'd off radiator to and from work (4miles one way) and it was fine, limped it down the road to get an inspection and on the ride home my cab got smoked out, terrible burning smell that didn't smell like burning antifreeze. :banghead:
I assumed it was the radiator.
The next day (yesterday) I changed the radiator, which went fine. However when I ran the engine from cold to running temperature, it idled very rough, check engine light came on, and the bottom of the motor (or thats at least the best place I could see it coming from) starting smoking. Also after about 5minutes of idling, shortly after coming to normal temperature, the check engine started blinking.:banghead:
More frusterated because when it rains it pours. :banghead:

Advice/Ideas welcome.

Was thinking about limping it 2 miles to AA and having them pull the codes... Besides that I'm working long days and saturdays, so my time is somewhat limited

·
Registered
615 Posts
A Flashing Check Engine Light Means there is a Misfire that could cause Catylitic Converter Failure if not taken Care of,Pull Codes or Have Codes Pulled to see what cylinder(s) are misfiring

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just took it for a ride around the block, Runs fine when not idle'ing. It feels like a head gasket to me: lack of power, really rough idle (which made check engine light flash)
Cooling system is mint, at least.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
you can check the codes yourself here are the steps...

1. turn your key to the ON position (positon right before ignition)

(Push key in towards steering column so you dont accidently move the key farther then needed)

2. Turn your key to OFF (one back) then back ON 3 times ending with ON within 5 seconds.

Should look like this:

ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

If you did it right you should get the error codes displayed on your odometer.

If it didn't work, then just reset the key all the way off then restart until it works. It took me a couple tries for me to make it work, but it will save you from having to go to the store or buying a card reader.

GL!:thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
tkfx said:
you can check the codes yourself here are the steps...

1. turn your key to the ON position (positon right before ignition)

(Push key in towards steering column so you dont accidently move the key farther then needed)

2. Turn your key to OFF (one back) then back ON 3 times ending with ON within 5 seconds.

Should look like this:

ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

If you did it right you should get the error codes displayed on your odometer.

If it didn't work, then just reset the key all the way off then restart until it works. It took me a couple tries for me to make it work, but it will save you from having to go to the store or buying a card reader.

GL!:thumb:
I never knew about this, good information to have! :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts