Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,

Since 4.10 is a factory final ratio on Rubicons, can you get the StarScan flashed at the dealer for the factory build code and activate it that way, if one were to ever go from 3.73 to 4.10? (This option would be added to the build sheet and be automatically uploaded to the factory ECU. I'm speculating because we can do this with a backup camera install.)

The other option is using a Flashcal or Procal.

On the other hand, the logistics of having this done eventually. Say I go to a reputable 4 wheel shop and get the 4.10 hardware put in. Then drive to the dealer to get it scanned without having the computer flashed for the new final drive ratio during, will it damage anything mechanically? Do you have to get the flash immediately after getting the 4.10 ratio installed?

Anyone know?

The only regret when building my Rubi is not getting the 4.10 during the ordering process. Although the 3.73 at the current stage with factory M/Ts are totally fine.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody knows?!?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
On the other hand, the logistics of having this done eventually. Say I go to a reputable 4 wheel shop and get the 4.10 hardware put in. Then drive to the dealer to get it scanned without having the computer flashed for the new final drive ratio during, will it damage anything mechanically? Do you have to get the flash immediately after getting the 4.10 ratio installed?
You can drive, but things like shift-points, speed, miles (odometer) will be off.

I would also think that any reputable 4 wheel shop would be able to "flash" it for you too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would think the dealer can reprogram the computer for the new axle ratio with no problem.

Driving with incorrect axle info will be off as WaltA states. Differences would be similar to adding taller tires vs the OEM ones and not reprograming the computer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd go ahead and buy a programmer. I have a diablo intune. I went from 3.73 to 4.88. I posted my trials and tribulations, but to summarize: I did it myself. Even though I had a programmer, I thought I'd go for a quick ride before reprogramming. Made it out of my driveway but then would not shit into reverse without going into park first. Turns out that if you go that far without reprogramming, the ABS sensors (in the wheels) are reporting such a different speed that the VSS (output shaft of transmission) that it gets confused and can't think. When you change tires, the ABS and VSS are still on the same (wrong) page. When you change gears, they are not. You don't have quite as big a jump, but may still cause issues.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dealer will definitely be able to do it but depending on the dealer for a little bit more money you can buy a FlashCal and do it yourself very easily. It will also allow you the ability to program several other things, read diagnostic codes, etc....

·
Registered
904 Posts
I recently bought a new 2015 rubicon with 3.73 gears, automatic. I wanted 4.10 gears, had it done at dealer, when done, they contacted jeep to get the code to flash it to 4.10 gears, chrysler/jeep, wasn't able to give them the code, they were told that it wasn't available. So dealer bought a programmer and flashed it with the code provided by programmer, and i kept the programmer. Seemed odd they weren't able to flash with a factory code for the 4.10.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I recently bought a new 2015 rubicon with 3.73 gears, automatic. I wanted 4.10 gears, had it done at dealer, when done, they contacted jeep to get the code to flash it to 4.10 gears, chrysler/jeep, wasn't able to give them the code, they were told that it wasn't available. So dealer bought a programmer and flashed it with the code provided by programmer, and i kept the programmer. Seemed odd they weren't able to flash with a factory code for the 4.10.
I thought Rubi was stock 4.10 gears.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have a ProCal. I've used it to adjust tire size and play around with DRL. It's a cheap investment that has many useful functions. And extremely easy to use. Set the switches, plug it in, wait for the horn to honk, off you go. Literally took me longer to get it out of the box to change tire size, when I had new tires installed. Not sure if you're lifted or going to lift an change tires, but probably every Jeeper should have one.

Someone should look into a Group Buy! I bet there would be a large group interested in buying one.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'd go ahead and buy a programmer. I have a diablo intune. I went from 3.73 to 4.88. I posted my trials and tribulations, but to summarize: I did it myself. Even though I had a programmer, I thought I'd go for a quick ride before reprogramming. Made it out of my driveway but then would not shit into reverse without going into park first. Turns out that if you go that far without reprogramming, the ABS sensors (in the wheels) are reporting such a different speed that the VSS (output shaft of transmission) that it gets confused and can't think. When you change tires, the ABS and VSS are still on the same (wrong) page. When you change gears, they are not. You don't have quite as big a jump, but may still cause issues.
They changed the computer in the 15s and up programmers dont work without fully replacing it with an unlocked one thus voiding that entire part of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have a ProCal. I've used it to adjust tire size and play around with DRL. It's a cheap investment that has many useful functions. And extremely easy to use. Set the switches, plug it in, wait for the horn to honk, off you go. Literally took me longer to get it out of the box to change tire size, when I had new tires installed. Not sure if you're lifted or going to lift an change tires, but probably every Jeeper should have one.

Someone should look into a Group Buy! I bet there would be a large group interested in buying one.
I agree apparently the procal is one of the only ones that still works without modification, im guessing because it leaves out the performance tuning bits and sticks to just modifying existing settings. (long day the term for what it modifies is escaping me, its the same things I modified on my fiance's prius to turn off the stupid back up reminder)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts