Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 JK Unlimited Sport. So when I turn my headlights on they turn on for a split second then flash off and on 4 times then turn off. They do this in low and high beam. Not sure what to make of it. I can't drive at night so I need to get this fixed asap. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I never heard of that before. If your lighting is all stock you could have a bad relay, or it could be in the harness itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never heard of that before. If your lighting is all stock you could have a bad relay, or it could be in the harness itself.

Yeah it is all stock. Do you know where the relay for the headlamps is located? Nothing in the fuse box labeled says headlamps/headlights.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yeah it is all stock. Do you know where the relay for the headlamps is located? Nothing in the fuse box labeled says headlamps/headlights.
After checking a schematic it doesn't seem like there's a relay for headlights on a JK. There's only a relay for the fogs. There are lighting experts on this forum that will hopefully chime in to help.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I ran this by my dad, who's been a mechanic for over 40 years. This can be one of several issues, but is likely a faulty TIPM. JK headlights are controlled via circuitry in the TIPM. Make sure your headlight bulbs are seated properly and check all the connectors at the headlights. You can try disconnecting both battery cables for about 30 minutes to see if that clears up the issue. It's possible that it does fix it temporarily, but the issue may come back a few months down the road. You'll probably need to get the TIPM replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone determined if replacing the TIPM is indeed the solution for this issue? Or has anyone found another solution?

I'm having the same problem with my 2008 Unlimited Rubicon, and no dealers / repair shops around here have ever heard of this issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Mine also does this - The TIPM can be an issue, the jk will also start honking, wipers /fluid spraying lights flashing etc...

I've been chasing this for awhile now - I don't believe there is a relay in the tipm for the headlights - there is a switch / relay in the steering column that may be a culprit - I am currently looking into that... keep in mind I am not a mechanic but have just done research so I could easily be wrong....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks eton. I ended up having the repair shop replace the TIPM about a month and a half ago. They said they subscribe to a database that catalogs repair issues and which solutions have worked for other repair shops that also subscribe / feed back to the database. They said 15 out of 18 of the issues were resolved by replacing the TIPM, so I went for it. So far so good, as my issues haven't recurred. Fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts