Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Jeep about two weeks ago. I was previously driving a Challenger which will help give some perspective on my post. I am loving the Jeep, but one thing that I don't like is the gas pedal lack of sensitivity.

Now I'm NOT expecting to go fast like my Challenger, but there seems to be a huge amount of play (IMO) in the pedal to when I get some power...almost like large dead zones. There may be some delay also which I've seen others mention in other posts.

I'd like the pedal to be more responsive and not have to slam down as far - real minor issue I know, but would make the Wrangler more enjoyable for me. From what I gathered, the SpiritBooster would do this, but the Flashpaq tuner may also do this. Questions being:

1. Does the Flashpaq tuner let me modify the throttle response and accomplish what the SpiritBooster plug in does?

2. Do I have to program it myself or is there a setting on it that I can just activate? If I have to "program" it, is it fairly easy to learn / do?

3. It looks like the Flashpaq has a Performance tune...which kind of sounds like the Challenger's OEM "Sport" mode. The mode made sure all cylinders were active and had more aggressive shifting etc. Guessing this is what the Performance mode does too?

4. The Performance mode is list as 93 Octane or 91 Octane. Is there one just for 87? (Not expecting HP gain on 87, just want more responsiveness)

5. Any other tuners that you may recommend over Flashpaq?

~$300 seems pretty high for what the SpiritBooster actually does with just changing input / output percentages, so I figured it may just be better to spend more and get a ton more with a tuner if it does the same.

Wrangler is 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have you been using the Sprint throttle response booster for about 3 years now, and I really like it. I just keep it on the highest level all the time which is red and the throttle respond very quickly. Sorry I don't know anything about the Flashpac. Let us know how that goes, I'm kind of interested in that too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have a 2017 JKU Recon. I installed 35" tires and 3.5" lift shortly after purchase. I bought the super chips flashpaq fully upgraded for my Jeep, including the PCM swap. It cured my issues initially due to the tire difference, ODO reading and MPG. After the PCM swap, I've been using the 87 octane tune which significantly enhanced my drive and throttle response. Most posts say that the 91 & 93 performance tuned don't deliver over the increased cost of the fuel, so I haven't tried. I also adjusted the idle rpm, which affects the throttle. I believe there are more pedal/throttle tunes available for custom settings, but I haven't ventured that far. I can't recall, but I believe the stock Jeep setting is 3.73 gear ratio, thus I tuned to 4.10 since it comes standard on the Recon. I have used the crawl tune to hit the Rubicon Trail a few weeks ago and it was a welcomed mod for that slow, long & gnarly run. Hope that helps!

I just got my first Jeep about two weeks ago. I was previously driving a Challenger which will help give some perspective on my post. I am loving the Jeep, but one thing that I don't like is the gas pedal lack of sensitivity.

Now I'm NOT expecting to go fast like my Challenger, but there seems to be a huge amount of play (IMO) in the pedal to when I get some power...almost like large dead zones. There may be some delay also which I've seen others mention in other posts.

I'd like the pedal to be more responsive and not have to slam down as far - real minor issue I know, but would make the Wrangler more enjoyable for me. From what I gathered, the SpiritBooster would do this, but the Flashpaq tuner may also do this. Questions being:

1. Does the Flashpaq tuner let me modify the throttle response and accomplish what the SpiritBooster plug in does?

2. Do I have to program it myself or is there a setting on it that I can just activate? If I have to "program" it, is it fairly easy to learn / do?

3. It looks like the Flashpaq has a Performance tune...which kind of sounds like the Challenger's OEM "Sport" mode. The mode made sure all cylinders were active and had more aggressive shifting etc. Guessing this is what the Performance mode does too?

4. The Performance mode is list as 93 Octane or 91 Octane. Is there one just for 87? (Not expecting HP gain on 87, just want more responsiveness)

5. Any other tuners that you may recommend over Flashpaq?

~$300 seems pretty high for what the SpiritBooster actually does with just changing input / output percentages, so I figured it may just be better to spend more and get a ton more with a tuner if it does the same.

Wrangler is 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have you been using the Sprint throttle response booster for about 3 years now, and I really like it. I just keep it on the highest level all the time which is red and the throttle respond very quickly. Sorry I don't know anything about the Flashpac. Let us know how that goes, I'm kind of interested in that too.
Will do, its looking like I'm going go the Flashpaq route.

I too have a 2017 JKU Recon. I installed 35" tires and 3.5" lift shortly after purchase. I bought the super chips flashpaq fully upgraded for my Jeep, including the PCM swap. It cured my issues initially due to the tire difference, ODO reading and MPG. After the PCM swap, I've been using the 87 octane tune which significantly enhanced my drive and throttle response. Most posts say that the 91 & 93 performance tuned don't deliver over the increased cost of the fuel, so I haven't tried. I also adjusted the idle rpm, which affects the throttle. I believe there are more pedal/throttle tunes available for custom settings, but I haven't ventured that far. I can't recall, but I believe the stock Jeep setting is 3.73 gear ratio, thus I tuned to 4.10 since it comes standard on the Recon. I have used the crawl tune to hit the Rubicon Trail a few weeks ago and it was a welcomed mod for that slow, long & gnarly run. Hope that helps!
Glad to see there is a 87 performance tune. Is it fairly quick and easy to switch back to stock settings for when you have to go to the dealer?

Also do you have to leave the thing plugged in or can I put it away once I set what tune I want on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
it takes about 5 minutes or so tune. you have to turn the ignition on/off a few times and the final step is to clear any errors. i typically do the tune while i'm airing down/up. as soon as your done tuning, you unplug, unless you are more tech savvy and want to run some diagnostics while driving. do make sure to use the USB upgrade check from time to time with a computer so that you stay up-to-date. one of the options is to return to stock settings. i haven't taken mine into the dealer yet, but am do for a service soon (oil change & tire rotation), so I'm debating whether or not to return to stock or just leave it in 87 performance tune. btw, i'm no mechanic and the PCM swap & install was painless, so be sure to go to superchips website and complete the PCM swap info ASAP so you can enjoy the tuning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you are going to change tunes do you go back to stock then install the new tune or can you go from one tune to another?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you ok with swapping out your pcm?

I just ordered the Pedal Commander with a $40 of coupon code provided on another thread. It should be here tomorrow so Ill find out if its worth it or not. From the reviews on other boards for various vehicles, it seems to address exactly what you are looking for...immediate throttle response.

2,663 Posts
Try diabling the hill assist on your jeep. That will help increase throttle speed also. The initial setup for the Flashpaq takes a bit. It reads your computer. But after that you can go from 87 to 93 to 91 in any order. You dont need to go back to stock. We sell the Flashpaq at a great price. Send me a pm and we can set you up.

-JP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it takes about 5 minutes or so tune. you have to turn the ignition on/off a few times and the final step is to clear any errors. i typically do the tune while i'm airing down/up. as soon as your done tuning, you unplug, unless you are more tech savvy and want to run some diagnostics while driving. do make sure to use the USB upgrade check from time to time with a computer so that you stay up-to-date. one of the options is to return to stock settings. i haven't taken mine into the dealer yet, but am do for a service soon (oil change & tire rotation), so I'm debating whether or not to return to stock or just leave it in 87 performance tune. btw, i'm no mechanic and the PCM swap & install was painless, so be sure to go to superchips website and complete the PCM swap info ASAP so you can enjoy the tuning.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered it. I plan to do a lift and 35s in the future so it'll be good to have around for that also.

Are you ok with swapping out your pcm?

I just ordered the Pedal Commander with a $40 of coupon code provided on another thread. It should be here tomorrow so Ill find out if its worth it or not. From the reviews on other boards for various vehicles, it seems to address exactly what you are looking for...immediate throttle response.
That's what it seems like. I think I'm going grab the Sprint or Pedal Commander on top of the tuner. Are you able to link the other thread with the coupon (if that isn't a forum rule violation)?

Try diabling the hill assist on your jeep. That will help increase throttle speed also. The initial setup for the Flashpaq takes a bit. It reads your computer. But after that you can go from 87 to 93 to 91 in any order. You dont need to go back to stock. We sell the Flashpaq at a great price. Send me a pm and we can set you up.

-JP
Already ordered it, otherwise I would of hit you up :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts