Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the Flashpaq to correct for my 33s and decided to run the 87 tune as well. However, I must have done something wrong: I changed the tire size under Additional Features and then installed the Quick Tune for 87. I've updated the tire size 4 times and it makes zero difference.

Before I spend another hour sitting in my driveway waiting for files to download/update trying to figure it out... can anyone confirm if I have to change the tires in Advanced Tune when running a tuning program? And that the Additional Features options are only for when the stock program is used? The manual doesn't seem to specify whether the tune settings trump the Additional Features settings, but it seems they do.

I didn't see anyone else ask this question, so I'm not sure why I'm unique here. I'm usually pretty smart. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes you just go into additional features for the tire size change. I sent mine back. It would not work properly for my 2014. Still no info from Superchips btw. They just told me the engineering department was looking into it. There having issues with the 2013 and 2014 units. Hope yours works. I'd go ahead and program it back to stock, and try to update it. Maybe that will work for you.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I am running the Flashpaq to correct for my 33s and decided to run the 87 tune as well. However, I must have done something wrong: I changed the tire size under Additional Features and then installed the Quick Tune for 87. I've updated the tire size 4 times and it makes zero difference.

Before I spend another hour sitting in my driveway waiting for files to download/update trying to figure it out... can anyone confirm if I have to change the tires in Advanced Tune when running a tuning program? And that the Additional Features options are only for when the stock program is used? The manual doesn't seem to specify whether the tune settings trump the Additional Features settings, but it seems they do.

I didn't see anyone else ask this question, so I'm not sure why I'm unique here. I'm usually pretty smart. lol
Like Jgreene said, they were having some issues with the '14 tunes. Your best bet would be to call them and see what you need to do to get your tire size changed properly. I'd also let them know that you're aware of the tune issue for your year and make sure they get you the updated one when they have it!

-Ryan

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your concern/spam. I understand what you are trying to say, but I did not ask if it was the best product available.

I got it 'cos there were plenty of positive reviews and it did everything I needed. Whether it completely works for me, we'll see. I have a manual so my tranny should be safe. I will be on the lookout for greater issues, but so far nothing glaring, just want my speedometer accurate.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Thank you for your concern/spam. I understand what you are trying to say, but I did not ask if it was the best product available.

I got it 'cos there were plenty of positive reviews and it did everything I needed. Whether it completely works for me, we'll see. I have a manual so my tranny should be safe. I will be on the lookout for greater issues, but so far nothing glaring, just want my speedometer accurate.
I also apologize if my response was Spam. My answer may have gotten lost in my post. You need to call Superchips and have them tell you how to get your tire size changed.

-Ryan

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you just go into additional features for the tire size change. I sent mine back. It would not work properly for my 2014. Still no info from Superchips btw. They just told me the engineering department was looking into it. There having issues with the 2013 and 2014 units. Hope yours works. I'd go ahead and program it back to stock, and try to update it. Maybe that will work for you.
Thank you greene. I confirmed it last night after trying to use the Advanced options, it prompted me saying that the setting has been moved to the Additional Features. Seems like a really silly way to do things, but maybe it has to be done that way on other models. *shrug*

I sent them email today.

My dealer says they can flash to any tire size, so I returned it to stock and I'll give them a go at it until SC can fix their stuff. Maybe I'll have a gently used programmer for sale soon, who knows. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
No problem man. I hope they can get the issues fixed with it. I've had good dealings with superchips stuff before. I hate I had to return mine. I just didn't want to be stuck with it until they work out all the bugs. Mine would change the tire sizes, but would not adjust fan, or tpms settings.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Superchips' PR/Tech guy emailed me back saying that 3mph is normal/acceptable. Claims he's seen stock speedos on stock tires as much as 3mph off. ROFL Mine was dead-on stock, so whatever.

Not willing to accept his answer, I did some math and figured their ratio is just wrong. Possibly someone at SC didn't carry the one, possibly because my Sport came with 29" tires and that plays a part in this whole thing.

I was able to bring my speedo within a fraction of 1mph accuracy at 50mph by setting the tires as 31.5" (tires measures ~32.5" at 35psi). Speedo remains accurate out to 60mph.

I need to test further to establish better data up to higher speeds, but the moral of the story for anyone else with similar issue is to really underestimate the tire size.

I would also like to know if at least one other person using a Flashpaq on a Sport that came with 29s has had the same issue. Also, if any 2014s with 32s can confirm that their speedo is REALLY accurate (<2mph discrepency) out to 60-75mph by setting the Flashpaq to their actual measured tire size to the nearest 1/4".

I would also be curious to correlate experiences with Procal. I want to know numbers, not just "mine works great, 5 stars, really A+!!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
ANYONE know of any chips that are working with the 2014???

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I hav ethe FlashCal and adjusted for both gear ratio change and my 35's. My Speedo is dead on according to the GPS.

What is the actual measurement your putting in to the Flashpaq..is this based of the measurement of your tires with a tape measure? The program for tire size cant be any differnet betwen the FlashCAL and FlashPAQ. The FlashCAL is upgradeable to the the FlashPAQ also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the 32 inch GY tires and put 315 /70 /17 Duratracs on. When adjusting my flashcal for the new tires it showed 30.75 to be the current size. Being these Duratracs are 2 inches taller I programmed it to 32.75. Speedo seems dead on with my phones Gps so I'll leave it there.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Rocket. Good info. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a '14 with the Flashpaq, just installed it last week and I am running 35/12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I updated it right out of the box and when I plugged in everything worked great. To the best of my ability I measured my tires at 34.25" and that was 3mph off. So I took it down to 34" and according to the app on my phone it is dead on. I need to air my tires down because I don't like the way they are riding, tire shop aired them up too much for my liking. Overall I have been satisfied so far but I have not had a lot of road time with it yet, mainly just the install process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts