Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some help, Im a little frustrated. i have a 1500 chevy silverado and a 95 yj wranger. i would frequently take it out of town and flat tow it with a tow bar and i never had issues. the jeep would respond normally and follow the direction of the truck. i would always remember to put the transfer case in N and leave the transmission in park or N. either way i never had an issue and of course i would leave the key in the ignition and allow the steering to move freely. this last time i wanted to go out of town is when problems started. i used the same jeep, same tow bar, same hitch and same truck. the jeep all of a sudden would not obey the trucks direction. it begins to turn the right way and then all of a sudden turns the opposite way and i have to stop to avoid damage. ive replaced the steering stabalizer and also tried towing it without the front drive shaft and still no luck. please help me or let me know if anyone has heard of this issue.

Thanks in advance !

:nonono:

·
Registered
717 Posts
alignment

Check the alignment. Does the Jeep want to return to center?

When you turn a corner the Jeep steering wheel should return itself to straight line. If not, then the tow-in is likely off. You may have to have the tow-in set a little tighter in order to have it track being towed.

The other possibility is something loose in the steering. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see if things are tight in the linkage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the tips, i havent had the alignment checked but i will, the jeep begins to turn the correct way and then all of a sudden turns the opposite way, i immediatly stop so that i dont damage any of the steering components. i have no idea what the "tow-in" is. can you explain that ?

thanks !

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also make sure the tow bar isn't unloading the front end. I have done a fair amount of towing with a towbar. And the main thing that that has caused the condition you described is when my truck has been higher then the car being towed. When I tighten up the towbar it takes the weight off of the front wheels so they tend to go which ever direction they want. Just something else to check.

·
Registered
201 Posts
andres367 said:
i have no idea what the "tow-in" is. can you explain that ?

thanks !
it is actually toe in.

Basically your front tires are suppose to point towards each other a little. For correct alignment your tires are going to be 1-1.5" closer at the front than the rear.

You do this because the force of forward momentum pulls the tires apart a little bringing them back to parallel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts