Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you tow by yourself, a fixed arm towbar will teach you the meaning of trial and error. I use a Blue Ox Alpha with a supplemental brake system mounted in the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
is the supplemental brake system easy to install?
Define easy... No, I'd say the brake system I got was not easy, but not that difficult to install and once installed just plug in the umbilical cord, transfer case in neutral, transmission in gear (or park if automatic) and away you go.

My JKs Unified Tow Brake (UTB) is no longer manufactured, but the Roadmaster Invisibrake is another system I have in my TJ that works flawlessly too.

if you are looking for easy install, a lunchbox brake system like the Blue Ox Patriot is reliable. You have to install and remove the control unit every time you tow, but it only takes a minute. The real advantage is you can move the control unit from vehicle to vehicle if you need. You will need to set up the wiring.

The surge brake mentioned above is very popular but I'd do some research about the drawbacks... some folks just don't like 'em. I've never had one, but the idea is that a cable connects to your Jeeps brake pedal and operates the brakes via the cable to the tow bar. BTW - all supplemental brake systems connect to the brake pedal one way or another.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use Demco Excalibur 2 that I purchased off a guy on craigslist. Works great behind my camper. Also use the Brakebuddy for the braking system, also craigslist purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts