Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a warning in the Owners Manual that backing up when flat towing can damage the transfer case.

"Tow only in the forward direction. Towing this vehicle backwards can cause severe damage to the transfer case."

Does anyone know why this is? Do they mean for long distance? There may be occasion where I need to back up a few feet, like in a parking lot, at a gas pump or dump station. If I back up even a couple feet will I damage my transfer case?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The oil pump inside the TC does not work in reverse.

·
Premium Member
10,146 Posts
There is a warning in the Owners Manual that backing up when flat towing can damage the transfer case.

"Tow only in the forward direction. Towing this vehicle backwards can cause severe damage to the transfer case."

Does anyone know why this is? Do they mean for long distance? There may be occasion where I need to back up a few feet, like in a parking lot, at a gas pump or dump station. If I back up even a couple feet will I damage my transfer case?

Thanks for your help
I would guess that's exactly what the engineers mean.

A few feet shouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I tow all my vehicles backwards. Especially when it comes to long distances.
How do you put a tow bar on the back bumper? Or do you use a trailer.

Reactions: ButWhatDoIKnow

·
Registered
946 Posts
Could you imagine towing something, but you could only go forward? You want to launch that boat?? I don't think so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could you imagine towing something, but you could only go forward? You want to launch that boat?? I don't think so.
You misunderstood the OPs question. Has nothing to do with the Jeep being used as the tow vehicle. He was asking about towing the Jeep behind another rig, like an RV towing a Jeep (flat tow).

Like others have said, backing a Wrangler flat tow for a short distance should not cause any damage.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Make sure someone is in the Jeep turning the front tires. They may crank one or the other pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The oil pump inside the TC does not work in reverse.
Honest question: how is the pump actuated? Is it powered when the Jeep is running?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Output shaft of the transfer case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts