Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Some more information is needed. The more specific you can be the better the answers will be. What year? Does it crank and not fire? Does it not crank at all? Do you hear the click of the relay for the starter?

·
Registered
612 Posts
The JL auto can be flat towed in neutral (for a max of 50 miles at no more than 35 mph) so if a short distance then likely no problem with the transmission (although one does wonder why they didn't just put the transfer case in neutral, or maybe they did.) Anyway it's possible that they set the ignition to key on/engine off and then forgot to turn it off at the destination and the battery is simply discharged. Answers to the above questions will tell the story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have read the manual for flat towing.
I put the transfer case in neutral and the auto trans in neutral. Towed two hundred miles. After towing I moved auto trans to park and tried to start. No luck starting

·
Registered
612 Posts
I should have read the manual for flat towing.
I put the transfer case in neutral and the auto trans in neutral. Towed two hundred miles. After towing I moved auto trans to park and tried to start. No luck starting
Well that's not great because fluid coupling in the transfer case can spin the transmission by the output shaft if the transmission isn't in park, and without the transmission fluid pump operating it can overheat. But while there is the potential for damage none may have occurred, no way to know until you can drive the vehicle. We will still need the info requested in post #2 before anyone will be able to make constructive suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
8,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully the transmission wasn't damaged, which can happen, as @smiller1 alluded to. Once you get it running I would service the transmission, the fluid could very easily have overheated due to improper towing of the vehicle. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2018 JL, Four door unlimited. Battery was mostly drained when I tried to start. Dash indicated, service trans, airbags. No sound of starter trying to engage. Thks

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
2018 JL, Four door unlimited. Battery was mostly drained when I tried to start. Dash indicated, service trans, airbags. No sound of starter trying to engage. Thks
You will never hear it "try to start". It either will or it will sit there. You don't start it. You send a signal to the computer that you wish to start the Jeep and if the computer agrees, it will start it. No cranking, cranking, cranking any longer. When my battery was going (almost 4 years old on factory battery) it would give me what I called a half start. Instead of the robust start where the RPMs ran up and then fell back to idle, they would stop at about 500 RPM and the engine would sit and chug with not throttle response. Most of the time a second try got a good start. Then one evening it took me 3 tries. I replaced the battery and no more issues for the last 18 months.

You have a JL and there may be a second small battery under the main one that could cause issues. Will leave it up to those who have JLs to cover that issue.

·
Commercial Member
8,747 Posts
As someone else stated, I would definitely put the transfer case in neutral as well as the automatic transmission. With both in neutral, it should make any problems less likely to arise.
Nope, the transmission should not be in neutral for flat towing, only the transfer case.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,686 Posts
Does anyone know the reason it's done this way? Just curious.
As @smiller1 said in post 5, putting the automatic transmission in neutral while flat towing can lead to the transmission output side being spun through a fluid coupling in the transfer case. If the internal parts of the transmission are spinning without the transmission pump pumping fluid, that can lead to damage due to parts spinning without lubrication.
Putting the automatic transmission in park prevents the transmission from spinning while towing, and puts all the disconnect in the drivetrain on the transfer case, where it belongs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts