Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me or give me some advise on. I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with manual transmission, 6 cylinder that I am planning on flat towing behind my motor home. I've read several threads and keep getting mixed answers. My question is: When flat towing, is the manual transmission to be in gear or in neutral? If it is to be left in gear, which gear should it be left in? I already know the transfer case is to be left in neutral and the ignition switch to be left in the off position and not locked. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me or give me some advise on. I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with manual transmission, 6 cylinder that I am planning on flat towing behind my motor home. I've read several threads and keep getting mixed answers. My question is: When flat towing, is the manual transmission to be in gear or in neutral? If it is to be left in gear, which gear should it be left in? I already know the transfer case is to be left in neutral and the ignition switch to be left in the off position and not locked. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Transmission should be in gear, I usually leave mine in 3rd

·
Registered
997 Posts
leave the manual transmission IN GEAR -

It is in my 2005 Jeep manual as stating the manual transmission needs to be "in gear" but doesn't say what gear.

I put mine in 5th gear with the hope that if the transfer case some how engaged it would not mess up the engine as 5th gear should be able to allow the engine to spin at my flat towing speed (55-60mph) without causing damage.

_

·
Registered
584 Posts
Should be in gear ... I leave mine in 5th since that's the gear I would be in if I was driving the jeep on the freeway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your rapid responses. I will try to leave the transmission in 5th gear just in case the transfer case pops in gear while traveling down the road.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I put my tranny in 3rd gear. I am not sure I have ever read if it matters what gear it is in. I have towed it for thousands of miles over the years and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a question. I have delectable hubs in front of my 97 TJ, should I have them locked or unlocked? Or does it make a difference when flat towing with the 231 transfer case?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have a question. I have delectable hubs in front of my 97 TJ, should I have them locked or unlocked? Or does it make a difference when flat towing with the 231 transfer case?
If I had selectable hub they would ALWAYS be unlocked unless I was off road.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To clarify, my hubs are always unlocked when not in four wheel drive. Just wondering if the 231 transfer case gets any needed splash lubrication from the front driveshaft turning. On my old Jeepster it was fine to unlock front hubs when flat towing, but that was with a Dana 20 transfer case.

·
Registered
519 Posts
To clarify, my hubs are always unlocked when not in four wheel drive. Just wondering if the 231 transfer case gets any needed splash lubrication from the front driveshaft turning. On my old Jeepster it was fine to unlock front hubs when flat towing, but that was with a Dana 20 transfer case.
The fluid pump in the NP231 is driven off the rear shaft so fluid is distributed even when the front shaft is not turning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts