Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Jeep JK with a manual transmission, i cannot get it into gear. I need to tow it and everything I've read about flat towing is indicating the jeep should be in gear and transfer case in neutral. Should I not flat tow it in neutral?

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
The Jeep has to be in gear and the Tcase in N. You'll will damage the drive train if you tow it with the transmission in neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I hope that I can some how get it into gear, it needs to be towed over 500 miles and don't have a trailer

·
Registered
546 Posts
It has to be in any gear. I Always use fifth gear. If you are towing for less than 20 miles or so you would be ok I have forgotten to put in gear a couple of times for over 50 miles and never had an issue
Cameron

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just curious. Why will you damage the drivetrain if the transfer case is in neutral?
If the transfer case and the transmission are both in neutral then there is enough friction when towing to cause the transmission rear shaft to spin without proper lubrication causing damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If the transfer case and the transmission are both in neutral then there is enough friction when towing to cause the transmission rear shaft to spin without proper lubrication causing damage to the transmission.
Thankyou. I always wondered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts