Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I found a flatty body for $150. The guy bought it for a project and has never got to it. It is just the tub,fenders, hood, and grill. I havent seen it yet, but I don't know how I can pass this up.

The issue I have is that there is no VIN tag or title. Has anyone dealt with this before? I really dont want a vehicle that I cant drive on the road.

I will show some pics once I go see it.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
really...nobody has any input here. Is this a good deal or am I just nutty with the thought of having a Willys.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You could do a "special construction " title like they do for home built cycles in PA.Or find a donor jeep with a title and swap the tub out.I had a '67 cj5 that had a '46 cj2a tub on it...it was titled as a '67...this is in pa also.150.00 sounds like a deal if it's solid...I have been dreaming of a slammed flat fender rat rod...olive drab/stars ..dual skinny military jeep tires on the back,single's on the front with a cut down wind sheild and the big leather tommygun sheath with a fake t-gun in it and a dummy 1919 mounted in the back...some thing like this:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Sounds like a good start to a project. My buddy has a '47 on a CJ frame with a chev 350. I am no sure if the VIN from the Willys or the CJ, but in your case you might want to find a beater CJ with a VIN and put the Willys tub on it....unless you are going to go the 100% Willys restoration route.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy has a VIN tag from a 60s CJ 5 that he will throw in. I am still pondering this. The tub is pretty rough. You can see in the pics that it has poorly done patch panels all over it. The hood is perfect and the grill is also really good.

The guy really wants to get rid of it...he came down to $100 and I never even made an offer yet.

2012-01-14_13-52-30_731.jpg

2012-01-14_13-52-21_176.jpg

2012-01-14_13-52-49_244.jpg

2012-01-14_13-53-10_140.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Worst case you buy it, don't do anything and scrap it and get half your money back.....ok, ok...put away the guns.... I was joking about the scrapping part......for 100 bucks buy it and sit on it.... Looks like a good media blasting will let you know what your really getting yourself into....if its too much you can just sell it on eBay or on here...

·
Registered
573 Posts
for $100 you could part that bad larry out if it becomes too much a hassle or time consuming! Id get that! Great deal! and if you really wanted to, find something like an old CJ with a really bad tub and tins and switch it out.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
This is my buddy's 47. It has taken alot of work...lots of welding, replacing rotted areas in the tub, etc.. But its a cool rig now that he is not afraid to abuse.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a sweet 47. I wish I knew the year of the one I am getting. I am hoping that I find something on it somewhere that will let me know what year.

So...that being said. I am bringin it home on Thursday. I will get some better pics once I get into the basement of the pizza shop I work in. They have a huge basement that has nothing in it and they are letting me store it in there for a while until I get my wrangler done and out of my puny little garage. I need to have the wrangler done by the Bantam Jeep festival in August. After that I can start figuring out this Willys.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You could do a "special construction " title like they do for home built cycles in PA.Or find a donor jeep with a title and swap the tub out.I had a '67 cj5 that had a '46 cj2a tub on it...it was titled as a '67...this is in pa also.150.00 sounds like a deal if it's solid...I have been dreaming of a slammed flat fender rat rod...olive drab/stars ..dual skinny military jeep tires on the back,single's on the front with a cut down wind sheild and the big leather tommygun sheath with a fake t-gun in it and a dummy 1919 mounted in the back...some thing like this:
Kmanator, Its a go...I am thinking I am going the Flat Rod route. I am liking the thought of the 1919 too. My kids are bug MW fans and would think it was cool to mount a gun on it. I gotta finish the Wrangler first, but have already been putting together chassis designs for the Flat Rod.

Here are some pics of what I have to start with. I have a lot of work to do. I can't bring myself to go the rat rod route so I am going to have a ton of body work to do. I do love that Jeep Randy Ellis put together. I am thinking of keeping the fenders and hood though.

View attachment 93418

View attachment 93419

View attachment 93422

View attachment 93423

1 - 11 of 11 Posts