Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I've got a question:

Has anyone on here ever changed out the factory radiator clutch-fan for a Flex-a-lite system and if they have what size of fan was it. I know they are overall better for keeping the engine running cooler during peak heat temps while running around town and I've used one before with a '91 240 volvo to help keep the engine temp from red-lining while running around town in high 90's temp.

Here is a link for people that might be wondering what I'm talking about.
Flex-a-lite 1517 - Flex-a-lite Wide Blade Flex Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Do you currently have problems with overheating?

If so, you might have some other problems. I've driven my TJ in 90-100 degree weather, and I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If your overheating driving around town in 90 degree temps, there is a problem with your cooling system. Even offroad crawling in 4wd lo in 90 degree weather I have never come close to overheating.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put one on an old Dodge Power Wagon when the old one worked its way loose and dinged the radiator. It was 10 times quieter and worked just fine. The blades flatten out the faster it spins and seemed a lot quieter at higher rpm.

As far as on a Jeep, nope, not yet but It was a thought I had already as it does seem to have a lot of fan noise from the stock fan. I would like to hear from an experienced Jeeper also on this one. Also be careful as they are almost razor sharp.

**EDIT**
You will probably have to get a spacer or two to get it to work also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not having any overheating issues now, but I was thinking down the road when factory clutch-fan goes out I would replace it with a Flex-a-lite fan and yes I've ran them before in another vehicle.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You'll regret it!!! Keep the stock system it works perfectly when properly maintained.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through 3 flex a lite fans! They are the biggest POS and ripoff out there if you ask me. I ended up running a 3rd gen ford taurus electric fan with a solenoid from a local parts store and have never looked back. The fan was $17 from a junk yard, and the solenoid was around $20...took an hour or two to put in, and pushes A LOT more air than the flex-a-lite, and wasn't $300-400.

·
Registered
409 Posts
klpossinger .... I am looking to replace my fan with a taurus fan but i need a mod number, year make model to go out and pick one up..

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm going to be replacing mine with a 485 as soon as i can possibly get the cash for it...was originally goingt o order it monday but ran into another "expense" which made it so i cant.

I'll be posting my results as soon as i do it though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts