Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 TJ has an issue right now with the steering feeling very unresponsive and almost like its adjusting itself and wandering while driving. I have to constantly correct it and it just generally does not feel safe. It feels like there's extra play on the steering wheel before it actually responds. Before taking it to a mechanic I'd like to just get some consensus from anyone who has experienced this.

It has stock suspension and 31" All terrains on Mickey Thompson Classic III's.

I've searched the forums but only seem to see this issue with lifted Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
How many miles on your Jeep, and have you ever changed/looked at your front wheel bearings?

Unfortunately, they were not made to be greased which would have kept them cleaner/dryer and last longer.

I just did mine partially because of a bearing noise, and partially because of that "Floating Feeling" I was getting.

When I removed the old bearings, there was lots of play in the assemblies

Might also try a tire rotation. Radial tires can get a set to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alignment hasn't been done in quite a while, so that's what I've been suspecting. Just want to see if there's any common worn parts that cause this since I've yet to feel another one of my vehicles act this way when it needs an alignment.

It only has around 50K miles though so it hasn't been through a ton. Does spend a lot of time near the ocean and on the beach though so rusting of parts is an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts