Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has used this as a clear coat, I ordered a psc bumper and they come raw steel as you know, I think the look of raw steel is cool and would like to coat it i've seen this used but don't know how well it will hold up. Just curious if anybody has tried it

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You also have the option for clear powder coating.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Flood Penetrol is the BOMB for hardtop restoration. Just wipe on and let it dry.

I wouldn't think that it is a good solution for coating bare metal though. I like the clear powder coat idea. Or just wipe down occasionally with Ballistol to keep a maintained patina look.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes to the Penetrol for all exterior plastic, fenders and rubber parts like you would with armor all. Mask off the paint. Put it on thin and rub in a circular motion. It wont ruin the paint but its a bitch getting it off after its dry. Bare metal? I wouldn't do it. Penetrol is a paint conditioner used to make oil base paint flow better on a brush and level out brush marks on interior wood trim.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not talking plastics or hardtopS! Bare metal... lets hear from the rat rod people I could care less about the fenders and hardtops honestly my Jeep isn’t something you’d see on a show room floor... anybody ever actually used this on raw steel?!?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Yes to the Penetrol for all exterior plastic, fenders and rubber parts like you would with armor all. Mask off the paint. Put it on thin and rub in a circular motion. It wont ruin the paint but its a bitch getting it off after its dry. Bare metal? I wouldn't do it. Penetrol is a paint conditioner used to make oil base paint flow better on a brush and level out brush marks on interior wood trim.
Pentrol is not a paint or coating, it will not protect bare metal (maybe for a little while, not long term. Use a clear flat paint or powder coat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts