Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took my '93 jeep 4 cylinder through too much water and sucked up water through the intake, after changing my plugs, wires, distributor cap, starter and oil (which was filled with water) got it started after two days of trying to crank it over. It has almost no power can't even get to thrd gear without it bogging down. Any suggestions on what I should do?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Can you run the engine to redline? Or can you even give it full throttle? Are you trying it with no air filter? If not I suggest loooking to make sure you dont have a clogged exhaust. Also if the engine got flooded with water ij the oil and all. Then you might want to look into changing all fluids in your driveline.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
As said before your exhaust and the Cat converter my still have water in them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get to redline and give it full throttle in neutral no problem but when in gear it just doesn't have that much power, I'll floor it and it barely wants to get up and go. I tried it with the air filter in. While trying to crank it over for two days a lot of water did come out of the exhaust

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would (if possible) disconnect the exhaust at the downpipe and try to see if it helps. It will be hella loud so make sure you do it at like 1100 pm so as to wake the neighbors....just kidding. If it moves like it should then one of two things. Your cat is fried and you need a new one and/or a new muffler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha alright thanks for the help I appreciate it, That'll be no problem to do my neighbors don't like me as it is so I'll do it at night lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
did water get in the tranny through a leaky shifter gasket? I have heard this can be a problem when a jeep is submerged! I would change driveline and tranny fluids as ALLMUDD suggests. A Jeep is not a submarine!!!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If you submerged it you still have a lot of work to do. All gear boxes and the front and rear diffs as well.

Check your fuel tank for water.

Since it is running you still may have moisture in the dizzy and some of the wiring.

Be happy it runs but still some more work to get it all cleaned up.

When you drain the gearboxes and diffs you will see what happened to your go power. The front will fill up not much to keep the water out. The trans and T-case are pretty good but need to be checked.

The fuel may burn but barely and the electrical and the dizzy may also harbor more moisture than you can see.

You can use a hairdryer on the cap and wires but the dizzy has open areas below that hold moisture and will send it right to the top of the cap again and again. Spray some WD-40 on the cap when your done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Been there got that t-shirt. Question for you did it lock up running above around 1500 rpm or did you try and crank it before you pulled the plugs and turned it over a couple of times to get the cylinders clear of water. Reason I'm asking is that it sounds like a valve problem might way to do a compression test on each of the cylinders and see what you have. Water when you hydro lock and engine can tear up the valves and seats really easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts