Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount either Floods or Spots on the windshield pillar. Which are better. And any one brand do you all preferr. I want small.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What are you looking for as far as light coverage? Are you looking for pencil beam distance lights that spots give... !__! ...or wide range, not as far that flood gives... V__V

·
Registered
612 Posts
Personally, I feel my 50" above the windshield has a very wide and broad pattern, within 40 yards everything is daylight bright, but I want something that I can aim straight down the road and shoot out further, so I am going to go with spots on my pillar mounts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got spots on the Pillars and Floods in the stock fog location. Works well for me.
I'd think there would be to much glare on the hood if i used floods on the Pillars.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Personally like spots on the pillars. Floods seem to broadcast to much light onto the hood.
I agree, I went with the floods because I have a 10" bar on the front bumper, which helps with distance. My problem was, in the dark when the trail turns, I couldn't see anything off to either side. So I went with the floods, but it does spill onto the hood quite a bit, but I haven't been out on a trail in the dark yet, so I will wait to see how they work. But I do like the amount of light that spills out to both sides.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I use floods on the pillars, turned way sideways. I use them on the beach and in the forest for route finding at low speeds so wide angle works best. The headlight, high beam gives me all the reach I need.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Personally like spots on the pillars. Floods seem to broadcast to much light onto the hood.
This. When driving at night, you dont want to be able to see what is 3 feet in front of you, it distracts your eyes.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Rugged Industries have 3 type, Flood 20deg, Spot 10deg and hyper spot 3deg. I went with the 10deg "spot" to keep it in the middle. We have them on our Jeeps because next year will be will be living in the boonies (15 miles) outside of town. I point them off of center to the outside so that I can see any eyes glowing in the dark that will want to dash infront of me doing 65. But with the addition of the LED headllights on bright, they are really not needed.

RI does offer a SAE compliant (legal for on-road use) fogs, but they are $$$. With my LEDs, I don't run fogs anymore. So I was thinking of putting them in the foglight spots and just using them as "flame throwers" when out in the boonies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have floods on the pillars angled out and away from the hood. I have some spill onto the hood, but nothing major. It's been fine for me the few times i've used them.
This is what I was planning. I wanted floods slightly angled outward to light up what was on my left and right. I could then put spots on the front bumper. I planned to have the left and right floods on independent switches.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
These are VERY poorly aimed rigid floods and the hood splash does not bother me at all...
only thing that bothers me is now I have three different color lights out front from the headlights, 'driving' lights, and rigids!
pure white, yellow, and worse yellow :(

ONE of these days I will adjust the rigids so I can see further down the road :) :) :)

but as they are, I can see everything I need to on the dfw area !

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts