Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep has nothing on the floor, the drain holes dont even have plugs... What can I put down on the floor to act as insulation, both for keeping drivetrain heat out in the summer and heat in during the winter? Will hurculiner help? I was thinking about doing that anyway but if theres a better option im all ears. Would like to avoid a carpet, i have on in my living room thats where it needs to stay.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually looking into it, i found lizard skin.... looks like it might have better sound deadening and insulation characteristics than hurculiner anyone use this stuff?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just herculined my tub and it doesn't dampen road noise one bit. Actually the old carpet did a much better job of quieting the noise. Carpet sucks tho if you wheel (and who doesn't wheel in their Jeep?) so I'm going to try the molded rubber mats Wrangler Haven is talking about. Also herculiner doesn't help w/the heat from your cat & tranny...tub is still hot to the touch. Still recommend herculining the tub but go w/something more to help out w/noise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lizard skin stuff is a little more expensive but it looks a little better than hurculiner. I wish I could find a local dealer that sells

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hadn't yet thought about this aspect of sprucing up my 89 YJ since I've been knocking out other more demanding home renovations before i can start working or spending on the Jeep.

I have already ripped out what little was left of the factory carpet because it smelled moldy/musty. And the Jeep came with heavy rubber floor mats for the the front floorboards.

But reading through this thread and looking back at some of the "good, quick, and cheap" solutions I've done over the past 40 years or so to a wide variety of cars & trucks has made me think about some type of indoor-outdoor carpet. If carpeting works better than most other solutions in a Jeep, that's the way to go. Luckily I live on the coast where outdoor and marine quality carpet is readily available, as are shops that can easily sew edging onto raw edges after sections are cut to fit. The ideal setup would be to cut some carpet sections for front and back from some good material, edge it if really good finish is desired, and lay it out so the carpet can easily be pulled out for hosing off after wheeling and thrown back in after it dries. The floor pan shapes don't make it terribly complicated to get a couple of sections (three at most) to drape pretty well and cover almost the whole floor area.

Since I plan to repaint my blue Jeep a dark green after the New Year, I can see an experiment with the Astro Turf looking patio and deck carpet hiding just over the horizon. :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
i think i read somewhere someone put like dynomat like material all over the floor before getting it rhino lined or something... sounded like a good idea, but i dont know if the stuff started to come loose under the lining..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.