Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally jack up the front and back using the differential when I go to rotate the tires, etc. When I do on the front, it seems one side has to be waaaaaay off the ground before the other tire gets off the ground. Not sure that matters, just bugs me.

Last time I did so I had an idea to jack up by the rock rails on one side and put one jack stand near the front and one near the back. Then I could do all the work on one side. But my jack would not jack the tires off the ground. I only have a 2" lift. So, other than buying a new jack, could I use wood blocks? Maybe a 6x6 or something? I guess I'd need to go out and measure to make sure that would be enough.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I normally jack up the front and back using the differential when I go to rotate the tires, etc. When I do on the front, it seems one side has to be waaaaaay off the ground before the other tire gets off the ground. Not sure that matters, just bugs me.

Last time I did so I had an idea to jack up by the rock rails on one side and put one jack stand near the front and one near the back. Then I could do all the work on one side. But my jack would not jack the tires off the ground. I only have a 2" lift. So, other than buying a new jack, could I use wood blocks? Maybe a 6x6 or something? I guess I'd need to go out and measure to make sure that would be enough.

Any other ideas?

When using the floor jack under the front diff put the jack’s lift pad on the axle tube right beside the pumpkin, it will then be in the middle of the front housing and will lift the front diff more evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
My rotation only requires one tire off the ground at a time.

Jack the rr. Pull the spare and place there. Lower and torque lugs. Right rear goes to the rf. . Rf to lr, lr to lf. The left front is now the spare till the next rotation.

Yeah, I can (and have) jacked it up so all four are off the ground. but to me, that takes longer.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I jack up the back w the floor jack on the diff pumpkin and put jack stands under each end of the axle. Then I can use the jack on one corner of front at a time as needed.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My rotation only requires one tire off the ground at a time.

Jack the rr. Pull the spare and place there. Lower and torque lugs. Right rear goes to the rf. . Rf to lr, lr to lf. The left front is now the spare till the next rotation.

Yeah, I can (and have) jacked it up so all four are off the ground. but to me, that takes longer.
Yep this. I always have a tire ready to go on where one just came off. At least for the Jeep anyway....the other vehicles get 4 tire rotations, but the Jeep always gets 5.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I wasn't sure about jacking up by the axle. That will help. I don't try to put all 4 off the ground .

Is it ok to Jack up by the rock rails? If so then that just seems more efficient. If so id only have to jack it up twice.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Jacking under the rock rails will lift the body but axles will stay on the ground until fully flexed and doubt your floor jack is thattall.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts

Any other ideas?
You can get away with a wood block as long as it is hardwood and not something like pine or something similar. I've used red oak in the past. Nowadays you can buy a jack extension that bolts to your floor jack (unless you have a cheap POS) that will both level and stabilize the load. It's still much safer and smarter to purchase a jack that will do the job.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just let the air out of the tires before you jack it up then it will be lower.:drinks:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I use a floor jack, with an oak 4x4 for the front, right next to the differential housing, and a floor jack with a piece of 5/4 oak under the rear diff center section.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That bottle jack posted above is the way to go. About $80 at PepBoys. Went from racing to Wranglers and have a garage full of now-useless low-profile jacks, lol. The nice thing about a bottle jack versus a floor jack is that it doesn't move. Even a normal (non-low-profile) floor jack is going to roll at the kind of extension you generally need lifting a long-travel suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I bought one of these and use it under the axle

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I’ve got one similar to this. Love it.

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Weld on lower control arm skids and use those as a jack point. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm going to pick one up...I can see the time saving value when owning Jeeps!

I wish harbor freight made one!
Home Depot was cheaper, same model, by like $10-$15 but out of stock. I showed them the site at Tractor Supply and they matched the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts